Altec 510 reviews?

I would like review information or opinion on the Altec 510 speakers that were re-issued I believe in about 1999. My brothers each had 511's from the 80's and one had studio 14's. They both kept the 511's as they loved the full sound. I purchased the 510 model as 511's are not in the re-issue group. I have thought about moving toward some 604 based speakers or some Klipsch but really just want to hear of any reviews. I may save myself the cost if the difference in listening experience is not that substantial. Problem is I cannot really 'try out' any other speakers as in this area only new systems are available. Help!
obsessalot

Showing 2 responses by jmbatkh

I had a pair of 510As recently and I thought they were pretty nice. Not the most revealing but well balanced and powerful sounding, with a large soundstage. I had a pair of 508s many years ago. I think they sounded very similar, with the larger 510 having deeper bass, of course. I agree that they need some good power to get going.
They don't sound anything like the old altec horn systems, of course.
If you like their big sound I don't know of much under $1500 used that would improve on them. Possibly Von Schweikert VR2s or Thiel 3.6s, for $1200-1700 used would be the next step up giving you the image size and power of the 510s with better resolution.
My 510s were bought for $80 on craigslist. They had a lot of cosmetic issues, but worked well. I bought them purely to play with, to see if they were like my old 508s. They couldn't compete with my VMPS RM30s, nor for $80 did I expect them to. When I got done checking them out I gave them to a coworker, who seems to like them. As I mentioned, you're going to need to spend more $ to improve on them, and you are facing the law of diminishing returns, big time.
Because of their excellent "listenability" I thought they were good enough to keep long term in an above average system, which is high praise for me. You've got a pretty good speaker; you might consider staying with them. They need a gutsy amp to get them going.