Allnic 5000DAC

Did anyone see the latest review in Stereophile. John Atkinson said it was the worst specs he had ever measured for a digital dac. I don't go wholly by specs, but even the frequency response was ragged and way over the map on this dac.
jwm

Showing 5 responses by charles1dad

+1 Zavato, you just have to judge via listening.If it doesn't sound right you'll know. If it sounds wonderful to you, that's the bottom line.
Syntax,
The beauty of judging audio products is you can listen and form an impression. Syntax I'll assume you chose your systems components based on hearing them as the final determinant. They met your standard for listening quality and enhanced your enjoyment/satisfaction If I'm wrong my apology. If a component sounds good to you and you later learn it measured poorly would you then change your opinion of it?
Charles,
Onhwy61,
That's exactly what I like about Art Dudley, he fits the term music lover. If a component makes music he'll tell you,and if not he'll say so. That's all I want to know. I think he and I hear in a similar manner and our priorities seem the same. Does the music sing with a component or not. If it can't stir the emotion and allow involvement I would have no interest in it at all.
Charles,
Pokey77,
Syntax has a very impressive system, it takes much time,experience and patience to do this. All of his components he proudly describes their "soiund" characteristics. He could have only reached these conclusions and kept them based on listening to them carefully. Lamm products for example are in his system because they sound good!
Charles,
Syntax,
Your examples still make the obvious point that listening was required to make the ultimate decision. No escaping that fact. It all subjective, you didn't care for Allnic yet others love them. Some listeners don't care for Lamm, but you do, see what I mean? Measurements or technical specs can be good,bad or indifferent, you're still going to have to actually hear the product.

Technical specs serve a purpose just as Al has pointed out numerous times and he's right. They will tell you next to nothing in terms of the sound quality. You can't buy any audio component and based solely on its specs have any idea if you'll enjoy it or not. If there's are some where this is possible someone please let me know. Thanks.
Charles,