Allnic 1201 and Herron VTPH-2

I am seeking information on the characteristics of the Allnic 1201 and the Herron VTPH-2 phonostages . This is not a 'which one is better' type of question . I believe that both of these PS's are fine products in their own right .

What I would like to know , from those that have experience with both , is what are the differing characteristics of each unit .

I want use this information to make a decision as to which one to purchase for my VPI Prime and Ortofon 2m Black .

Thank You

saki70

Showing 2 responses by tablejockey

Yes, both are fine products. If I were fortunate to be in your position, I would lean toward the Allnic. The Allnic, based on all the reviews, has the superior transformer and associated circuitry.

With your Prime and the Allnic....time to step up to an equal level LOMC. Consider the upper level Orto,Lyra, SS..etc. 

The 2M Black is a great cart. It's a great MM cart. Once you have the new phonostage in place, you've just stepped into another realm. Good luck

"Please provide the sources for the reviews related to the Allnic vs. Herron transformers. Did any of the reviews cite the superior performance of the Herron or did they focus on the transformers? "

bpoletti-my response is only a personal estimation . My speculation reading the company info and reviews, over the years. The Allnic technically, has transformer 
design implementation that suggests it may have thing over the Herron?

My poorly constructed statement may suggest the Allnic is a better product,which I have no personal experience using either. Only have heard both on separate occasion, and different setups. Should have mentioned this initially.

I think the OP will be splitting hairs here, and personally would urge a move up to a LOMC with such an upgrade.

Aesthetically, the Allnic would get my vote. Whichever unit, it  BETTER look good also!