Allnic 1201 and Herron VTPH-2

I am seeking information on the characteristics of the Allnic 1201 and the Herron VTPH-2 phonostages . This is not a 'which one is better' type of question . I believe that both of these PS's are fine products in their own right .

What I would like to know , from those that have experience with both , is what are the differing characteristics of each unit .

I want use this information to make a decision as to which one to purchase for my VPI Prime and Ortofon 2m Black .

Thank You

saki70

Showing 3 responses by bpoletti

tablejockey -

Please provide the sources for the reviews related to the Allnic vs. Herron transformers.  Did any of the reviews cite the superior performance of the Herron or did they focus on the transformers? 
tablejockey-

You specifically said " The Allnic, based on all the reviews, has the superior transformer and associated circuitry."   That isn't statement construction.  So where are ALL the reviews that you are citing?  Where are ANY of the reviews you are citing?  Without specifically supporting that statement, the rest of your post would seem to have similar credibility.

You also write that you have no experience with either the Herron or the Allnic.  That kills the credibility and value of your entire comment string.  So why did you even bother to post anything?

I heard an early version of the Allnic under the worst possible of conditions - an audio show. That unit I would only categorize as satisfactory. But it was at a show and under the very worst of conditions.  Too many variables in other manufacturer's equipment, shoddy set-up, awful acoustics in the rooms, yada, yada, yada.  So my comment on that Allnic must be discounted. 

I have owned Herron Audion phono stages since, almost literally, the day they were introduced. I currently own a VTPH-2 after Keith Herron was kind enough to take my ancient VTPH-1 in on trade. I have heard a number of other "competitive" units include the best ARC has to offer. I have not heard anything better.... No. I cannot recall any as good as the VTPH-2.

It could, maybe, be that it sounds so really wonderful because it is a great match with all the rest of the Herron Audio electronics I have (all my electronics are from Herron Auddio). But I doubt it.

I would like to emphasize that owning Herron Audio electronics is a treat in itself.  The price of admission is great and the performance is comparable or better than anything else on the market.  BUT, the low price of admission also includes the priceless support from Keith Herron himself.  He is always available for constructive conversation about performance, set-up, concerns, related equipment, suggestions....  Or just about the music. 

After reading so many positive comments regarding the Allnic, it is no doubt a fine unit. It has a long way to climb to reach the lofty pinnacle of performance held solely by the Herron Audio VTPH-2.

I’m headed down to listen to music on my own personal Herron Audio system now. I’m not headed down to listen to the equipment. The music exists because of the quality of the equipment.

Disclaimer: I have zero financial interest in Herron Audio. I do consider myself a friend of Keith Herron as do many of his other customers.