Aged components / service!?

I tried to get an insight in what is considered aged components in a pre amp. I look at a pre which is between 10-15 years old. Personally i kind of feel this is close to a no go. I get conflicting information with regards to service and age.
Do we have any members here who could actually teach me something regarding components and age?

Thanks!
rird

Showing 1 response by gs5556

I have a CAT SL1 Signature preamp that I have been using every day for the past 28 years. Couple of years ago I measured the caps and all were to spec for micofarads and ESR.

So the answer is... it depends. But for the most part, preamps do not generate heat so the components spend their lives in their design 25C ambient air temperature, which makes them very relaxed and stress-free.

Before you buy an old preamp (or any other piece of equipment) one big concern is that some parts may no longer be manufactured. Toshiba had a lot of good transistors and current source jfets in the 80's and 90's that were retired in the early 2000's. So be careful poking around inside -- damage one of those semis and it cannot be replaced.