After nearly 20 years, I left Magnepan and went ProAc

Listened to proac d48r's a few weeks ago and fell in love at first listen. After a couple of days I got my wife to sign my "permission slip" and took the plunge and they now reside where my 1.6 once stood.  You see, I've never heard a speaker literally mesmerize me and engage me like this before.  Sure the Maggie's have a huge image and soundstage and transparency, but these Proacs simply sound more like a real event, with dynamics and palpability, with a more refined and true sound.  The images are much more dense.   

I only have 48 hours on them so they are nowhere near their final voice, but they are breaking in nicely.  The manual says they require a lengthy break in.  I pulled out my old marantz cd-5000 to do the break in honors and will run these straight for a week or two and then taper off with normal listening.   

One thing I dont care for are the spikes. They have these little slits that aid in tightening, but no tool to go around them, so I can't get a good tightening with just my fingers.......so the spikes jiggle.  When I check  I can hear the spike and lock but chatter, and   this is not helping my  stability or sound.  Any sugesstions to tighten them right would be helpful. Thanks.  Cheers to a new chapter!   Wanted to share my excitement with you.  So grateful and never thought I would have speakers like This.  It feels like a dream!

audiolover718
My first pair of high-end speakers where ProAc Super Towers. Maybe ViseGrips would work or you might consider using Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders. I have found they work better than spikes.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm
Congratulations on the Proac's. I got a chance to listen to the D-48R's
briefly and was very impressed. If I had the room for them they would be on my list. I ended up with the D-30R's and have been extremely pleased with them. Like you, I wasn't too impressed with the stock spikes (or jumpers for that matter). I put some Audio Points 1.5AP-1 under my D-30R's and the improvement wasn't subtle. The bass was cleaner and more defined. The mid-range opened up as well and blended more seamlessly with the bass. I'd highly recommend them.
I should also note that if you don't like them you can return them for a full refund.

Congrats on your new d-48s. I have d-40rs and don't know if I will change from here.

I have Nordost Sort Fut on mine and they were an improvement over the standard spike in both functionality and sound
Owned Proac 3.8s a while ago but they needed to play at a volume my apartment neighbors didn't care for. Wondering if you listened to Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT?
Iistened to the vandy quatro the same day, and they were amazing in their own right, don't recall if the were the wood CT version, but the proacs literally brought me to tears.  That was it for me.  Had to to throw them in the bag.