Aesthetix Romulus Signature Upgrade Worth the $3,000 ?

Hi all,

I just purchased a "base" Aesthetix Romulus and am very happy with it. Has anyone had their unit upgraded to Signature or heard the base unit and Signature unit side by side? I am wondering what the sonic differences were and if you think it is a worthwhile upgrade. The vast majority of my units use is spinning cd's on a high resolution system. I would be particularly interested in the difference in dynamics and bass extension with the upgrade.

Thanks for looking!!

billandsol

Showing 11 responses by tomic601

Tungsol and Electro came w my Pandora.
I rolled to Motorola and Telefunken w Andy at Vintage tube supply as recommended by Glen at Aesthetix.
I did the upgrade to SIG and feel w DSD and the FPGA it represents good value BUT as astutely pointed out I do more than spin CD.
I also have HRS damper. 

Break in takes a while. like 300 hours..IMO

I think sig upgrade is good, DIY is certaily better value.

I may do the next cap upgrade myself..or make a Lampi or Rankin DHT move....a LOT of that will depend on how MQA goes...

Grannyring pls post up the All the audiopoints parts you are using under the DCP ...My simple math says a tad bit more than $360 when 6 sets of points, etc purchased...apples and oranges vibration isolation theory at work at well vs. HRS system ( not saying one is superior)..
anyway post up the list and I may take a whack at an A/ B comparo to the HRS feet as supplied by Aesthetix. I have a set of HRS Nimbus couplers under the Server I can swap in as well for grins...
the brass discs are extra..$
the website has photos for instl.
b stock my kind of speed
thx Grannyring...
there are less than 20 labor hours in final assy of a Scion and they sell hundreds of thousands of units..
hi end audio is often Aerospace grade parts, engineering, etc. Jim White not only knows what a Faraday cage is but how to use it to manage RF...for example...
look at Aesthetix operating with about ten employees in VERY high cost CA...small wonder we can afford anything they make.
go pick on somebody who really is skimming cream..

bunch of whiners..
laugh with me..
but seriously..golden days are here NOW
Van Alstine $ 500 phono pre, Audible Illusions Pre, UK or VPI table for a grand. Decent cart for $500, any number of amps..lets say quicksilver, add a $2 K pair of NEW Maggies or steens some cables...THAT is high end..

and IF you think you can build better caps, R, coils, transformers for a LOT less..have at it.....lay it down....

BTW saw Pink Martini live last nite.....the REAL thing is so so good !

we are getting closer..I am a big fan of Jim White but IF he sits on his A and does not do MQA I will move...quickly.
What you and many others ignore and what is VERY well understood in aerospace is that spreading development costs as you zeroed out over just a few units can equal the parts cost. The one time engineering cost to implement the new digital FPGA board including DSD and custom filters is part of the $3 K...
Now there MIGHT be $3 K DACS that can compete with a Pandora SIG, but I have not heard them...maybe I should...
BTW there are many common components in aerospace, application and tols change. yes there are unique parts and when there are, they are VERY expensive.
what model Yamamoto ?
I would also need to spend a significant sum on a Niagiara class SE cables ( DAC to PRE)...
i have about 2 K redbook Cd's so for grins this might be fun..

anybody have one in Seattle ???? Might be fun to compare head to head vs. Pandora SIG..

I have a nice bottle of Freemark Abbey to skew the blind A/ B..or enable it...