Aesthetix Romulus Signature Upgrade Worth the $3,000 ?

Hi all,

I just purchased a "base" Aesthetix Romulus and am very happy with it. Has anyone had their unit upgraded to Signature or heard the base unit and Signature unit side by side? I am wondering what the sonic differences were and if you think it is a worthwhile upgrade. The vast majority of my units use is spinning cd's on a high resolution system. I would be particularly interested in the difference in dynamics and bass extension with the upgrade.

Thanks for looking!!

billandsol

Showing 19 responses by charles1dad

I'll  2nd Grannyring's recommendations.  A good friend of mine had his Signature  upgraded to the Eclipse version and he uses the Star Sound Apprentice with very noticeable  improvement. Duelund CAST or Jupiter Copper  foil are exceptional  sounding  capacitors. Excellent  upgrade for far less than 3K dollars. 
Charles, 
Hi Jim,
I've heard  the  Apprentice with all of my  components  and my  friends's
Romulus  but no other Aesthetic product.  I feel that the  results would be  the same, very worthwhile. The various Apprentice  models differ  in the height of the brass Audio points. I believe that you would be  very impressed with the Apprentice in your system. 
Charles, 
Sorry audiopoints.com.
I have to get rid of the  annoying auto spell on my  tablet.

Hi,
They can be ordered  directly from their web site audiopoints.come
Charles, 
Bill,
That's one of the occasional  odd phenomenonsince of this site.
People ask  a question or seek advice.  When  they get informed responses,  the OP has seemingly disappeared.
Hello John,
That's true and I wasn't specifically referring to this thread. However  there  have been threads started by people  that generate  considerable  activity and information  and the original  poster doesn't  respond. I was just  making a  general  observation based on  previous site behavior. 
Charles, 
You simply  use the flat brass disc between the  component  bottom  and the brass point. Each  disc  has a center hole to accommodate the  brass point. 
Lula,
The quality of the transport is indeed a major factor as you  discovered. I believe that the transport is at "least" as important as the DAC. The PS Audio PWT  referenced above is  superb sounding and also  very cost effective when purchased used.
Taters, 
Finding a  used Romulus and  upgraded as suggested by Grannyring  is smart  and  very  cost effective. Saying that player  is  better sounding than another is as always purely subjective and system dependent Germanboxers had the Luxman player and he loved it. He replaced  it with a Lampizator Big 7 DAC which he felt was an improvement.  Someone else  may choose  the Romulus  or the  Luxman over the Lampizator.  On and on it goes in this hobby.I assume that they all can be an excellent choice in a given system. 
Hi Bill,
I don't  feel you statement  is ridiculous  by any measure,  however it is subjective  by its  very nature.  No question
You find the Luxman player  is better than any others you have  had  in  your  system. How can I dispute that? However  at the end of the day  it's  just one man's  opinion. That's  why I mentioned Germanboxers, he had the same Luxman but sold  it when  he found  something he felt  was better.  
This is normal  audiophile  behavior,  people  move on to  something else and there's  always  differing  impressions on any and all components. Obviously  a person  can declare  something  "the best they've heard", it just is an individual  assessment rather than an universal declaration. I'd  say that as much as you prefer the Luxman,  someone else  would prefer the Romulus over the Luxman. There is never unanimous concensesus with audio components. 
Charles, 
One observation I've had with High End is there isn't a linear relationship with cost and performance. Some expensive products sounds  sublime and some are decidedly  underwhelming. The first step is to know your  goal and what type of sound you really desire. This is what causes the many variables we encounter. What sounds better,a Kondo SET or a Soulution 700 series amplifier? See what I mean,  no right answer, just depends on an individual's taste. .
Charles, 
Tomic601,
I'm very familiar with the Romulus Signature and the Eclipse version with the Stealth capacitors. The Eclipse is a clear sonic upgrade. The Yamamoto can't compete with the Romulus in terms of  flexibility and format options,  as it's strictly Red Book exclusively. In terms of sound quality and natural musicality and engagement, Grannyring is on the mark.  The Eclipse  and the Yamamoto DAC provide superb Red Book playback. Both products  are noticeably improved when placed on an Apprentice platform based on my listening sessions. I heard both with the PS Audio PWT which is better than the Romulus internal transport. Full disclosure,  the Yamamoto  is  mine and has Duelund CAST output capacitors and a Synergistic Research fuse in place. 
Charles, 
I'll also state that the Romulus Eclipse  and Yamamoto placed in well configured systems are very competitive  with high quality turntables in regard to  musical involvement and organic character. Some analog setups are in fact  analytical in presentation and actually  less involving  and  satisfying than these two digital  sources. My point is that both of them do justice to the music. 
Charles, 
Off topic for a moment, The Seattle  Seahawks are making a game of this. I have to admire their heart. Gap is down to 10 points. 
Tomic601,
There are two Yamamoto DACs,  mine and Grannyring's  are  solid state(YDA-01a) and there's also a tube version(YDA-01b). Both were reviewed and compared in a 6 Moons comprehensive writeup. 
Generally speaking I'm much more partial to tubes than transistors,  however there are exceptions sometimes. I was initially going to buy the tubed Yamamoto. The Distributor  ((also a tube guy) heard  both versions and surprisingly the overall sound was very similar. The subsequent 6 Moons review comparing them confirmed that close overlap  (though not identical ) both are organic, dynamic and exceptionally musically engaging. 

No surprise really when you consider that the designer is noted for his SET amplifiers. He built the DAC on same prinçiples, avoid negative feedback and use simple circuit philosophy which  he believes leads to  a natural sound character.  Knowing this mindset ànd the Distributor and reviewer ilistening impressions  plus the SS version is 500.00 less than the tube DAC. I felt comfortable with choosing the SS DAC. It is an  excellent match with my DHT  tubed components,  naturalness is its innate character. 
Charles,