Aerial 10t or KEF 107 for "vintage" speaker?

I'm considering picking up a pair of Aerial 10t or KEF 107 for my main set up and am hoping a'gon members can help me with a few questions.

I can hear the 10t before purchase, but not the KEF, and while the designs seem similar, my research found only general comments of "they sound great" or "are great speakers" with not much detail on how each speaker sounds.

I tend to prefer a smoother, laid back sound, and generally, most of my critical listening is done at lower volume, so the ability to sound good at lower volume is key for me. My Mc pre has adjustible loudness control (gasp) and I've used it despite being viewed as a heretic.

As for amplification, I understand the Aerial " needs a bazillion watts" and enough current to power a monorail, so I'd probably be looking to amp swap if I go that route. I'm currently using a Conrad Johnson MF2250 (125w into 8ohm, close to 200 into 4ohm, but probably not enough current).

My main reservation on the KEF is the Kube reliabilty after all these years. It seems to be a critical component, and since most pairs don't have a Kube included, I'm assuming they've failed.
I do like that they vent out the top and not rear like the Aerial, since I'll only have a foot from the back wall to place. I have loads of space to either side.

Can anyone share thoughts on how either of these speakers sound?
yakbob

Showing 1 response by yakbob

Thanks for the feedback Rrroberts,
I ended up taking a chance on the KEF 107. They were about a grand less, and will need some minor refurbishment that's within my ability.

I really hope to get a pair of 10Ts into my system some day. My main concern with their design at this point is the rear facing port combined with their total depth. I'd have to keep these jammed up against my front wall to keep from disrupting foot traffic, and I was worried about bass boom for that placement. If I move into a space with a room better suited to the Aerials, they will be at the top of my list.