Advice wanted

I am a music lover, but not an audiophile. I have an old KLH Model 20 (AM/FM/Phono with KLH floor speaker) that recently died - one channel has died, as well as the turntable. I am looking to put together a new system. I want a 2 channel system, since I expect to never want 5 channel, multi-room sound.

I want to keep the KLH speakers because I think they are good enough for my purposes. Altough I would prefer to have a system with a remote, I have been thinking about getting a Marantz 2270 on eBay. For a CD player, I have wondered about getting a Sony SCD-C222ES at eBay and using it solely for 2 channel purposes. I have no idea what kind of turnable to get, but I have a lot of records that I want to continue playing.

I'm sure it is obvious that (1) I don't know what I am doing, (2) I don't know what components would be well matched into a compatible system, (3) my taste and budget are not in the direction of a sophisticated, complex, exotic, or expensive solution. I want a system that will be a pleasure to listen to good music on. I will welcome all suggestions about how to proceed, no matter is what direction, or how different they may be with my current thinking.

Thank you in advance for your good advice and suggestions.
jgold0016

Showing 4 responses by jgold0016

Phasecorrect -

Thanks again for the advice. Since our last exchange I have checked on this site, and you are right. It seems like these Linn Classiks go like hotcakes. I'll have to be on my toes.

I'm also looking on eBay for a used turnable. I see an ad for an old Yamaha YP-B2 for a less than $50 that claims to be in excellent condition. I don't know anything about them. What are your thoughts about that?
To Thsalmon: Thanks for the suggestion. I read 2 reviews of the Linn Classik (one in Stereophile) - both generally favorable. I'll check it out further. I'm not sure what you mean by the NAD phonostage. Is that a separarte phono pre-amp unit? Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

To [email protected]: I'll give you what information I can about the KLH speakers. On the back it says 4 ohm. As I measure it, there is a 8" woofer and a 5" mid-range/tweeter-second speaker. The heavy wooden enclosure measures 23" x 12" x 9". On the back if simply says KLH Model 20, with no further info. There is a three position "high frequency level" toggle switch - with positions for increase, decrease, and normal. I hope this info is useful to you. (I also use headphones fairly often too - Sennheiser 580. I think the headphones are probably better quality that the rest of my equipment at the moment.) Thanks for your interest and comments.
Does anyone have any specific comments regarding my original idea of getting a Marantz 2270 and combining it with a newer CD player and turntable?
Thanks, Phasecorrect. I'm impressed with the consensus that has appeared speaking favorably about the Linn Classik as a solution. Where would you recommend looking for used ones? $800 sounds like a great price. Is that a realistic guess?

Last weekend I listened to a B&K PT5 with a B&K ST-2140 that sounded very good to me. That would take me down the path to building a system of separates, which I had up till now been trying to avoid.