Advice on stacking equipment

In a possible space saving and redisplaying exercise Im thinking of stacking my line stage ( see system for details) on top of my cd player.To be honest I'm in two minds regarding the audible benefits of isolating/coupling equipment. But like most of us I I've bought over the years a number of aftermarket accessories in the pursuit of improved performance . At present I have a 1" thick sheet of black delrin under my klyne pre. one set of black diamond cones and 3 DH squares under my cd player along with some (12) small medium hard rubber like feet brought and recommended to me in by a high end dealer in England in the early 90s . I'm wondering what other members have used with good results when having to stacked equipment. Or is it always a bad idea? Thanks.
128x128pcoombs

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

The 'Inverse Square Law' states that the strength of a magnetic field diminishes in proportion to the square of the distance. In other words: Your components' separation needn't be large when they're placed side by side. The transformers, microprocessors, and circuitry will have more distance from each other automatically that way. Also- Dress your power cords/interconects/etc accordingly(don't parallel any AC wires within 6in of your signal cables. Anything that HAS to cross, should do so at a 90 degree angle and, at least, 1 inch away.
Besides the mentioned issues: Your equipment(digital OR analog) is emitting interference that will be absorbed by other gear(especially if stacked), and will affect your music signal. Digital circuits are really good at generating interference, as are the power supplies/transformers in any kind of gear. (http://www.peprollc.com/about/technology/threats/) I've always used Texas Instruments' TI Shield, over and under my individual components, to block any RFI/EMI. See page 14 of this catalog: (http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf) The Stillpoints Suppression Cloth looks interesting too, but- I've not tried it.