Advice on New Integrated Amplifier

I need some advice on cleaning up my current system, which is:

Integrated Amplifier: Creek 5350 SE (with phono card)
Turntable: Roksan Radius 5
Loudspeakers: Totem Arro
Digital: iTunes/Spotify via wifi only

I am having a problem with the Creek. One channel drops out (scratchy for a bit then gone) intermittently. I emailed Mike Creek about it, posted on these forums before, and conducted research. It seems the ribbon connectors need to be cleaned frequently. Mike Creek said to open the unit and blow out the female receptacles. That didn't work too well so I used compressed air and deoxit. I've done this 3 times in 18 months. So, every six months I need to crack open this integrated to keep it working. Ugh.

I took the unit to a local repair shop in Chicago. They could find nothing wrong with it. Go figure. They were not interested in hardwiring each of the 16 pin connectors involved. Neither am I and I'm not too bad with a soldering iron.

So, I'm likely in need an integrated amplifier. I'm thinking that I need the following:

- < $2k in cost (new or used)
- Decent ability to drive 4-6 ohm loads
- A & B speaker outs because I drive a main set (Totem Arros) and another in my office (Monitor Audio in ceiling units)

I may also think about upgrading my Totem Arros to Tannoy Revolution XT 6Fs (http://tannoy.com/residential/#!products_1547)

I listen to a broad spectrum of music including:

Rock/Pop
Blues/Folk
Jazz

I would really appreciate the advice of forum users! PS: I bought the Creek used from Audiogon and have had issues since I got it so there's no warranty for me. I love the sound of it and its simplicity.
128x128jbhiller

Showing 4 responses by zd542

"09-14-15: Jond
Elevick doesn't Music Hall import Creek? It's possible even likely that both your amp and the OP's were built by Creek.
Jond (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

They're completely different. The Creek is made in the UK and the Music Hall is made somewhere in Asia.

Jbhiller,

Fix your 5350. I put mine next to a bunch of integrated's in the same price range and they all fell short. Having to clean it every 6 months is a better option than settling for something that doesn't sound as good.
The Bryston is pretty good. I had one for a little while. But if you're willing to spend that kind of money, you could get an Ayre CX-7. Its in a completely different league than the other amps mentioned.
"09-15-15: Riffer
OP says amp needs A&B out. Otherwise I would agree with Akg_ca on the Simaudio recommendation, having run the Arro's with the i-5. I currently run the Arros with a Magnum Dynalab MD-209, and it is far superior, but well out of the OP's price range. I think that the Magnum Dynalabs extra power has a lot to do with it, so I am thinking an i-3 with the Arro's would work quite well. But of course no A&B."

I'm pretty sure Sim makes the integrated amp portion of your Magnum Dynalab.
"I may buy a Creek EVO 100A and later sell the 5350se. It's such a great box in great shape."

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but I would take my time and not rush into it. The EVO 100A is very different from the 5350. Here's a list of things they changed.

-The 100a uses and active line stage instead of the passive like in the 5350. In my opinion, going passive is what made the 5350 so special. Its difficult and costly to build a good active line stage, so if you can't get a really good one for some reason, a passive is usually the way to go. Also, if you need an active LS for some reason, you can just get an upgrade card from Creek.

The 5350 was made in the UK, where as the 100A is made in Asia. (I forget which country.)

The 5350 keeps the amp and preamp sections completely separate. That's why there's jumpers on the back. It can be used as either an amp or preamp only. And because of the external jumpers, the signal doesn't run through both sections. The 100a doesn't have this feature.

The 5350 uses Mosfet's in the amp, and the 100A uses bipolar transistors. Its not better or worse, but different. Generally speaking, there's usually a large sonic difference between those 2 types of transistors.

I think that list covers all the major differences between the 2. If I were you, I would want to demo the new Creek first in my own system before buying it. If you don't have a local dealer, Give The Cable Company a call. They're a Creek dealer and should be able to send you one for demo.