Advice on monitor/bookshelves under $2,000

OK - I'm not an audiophile but have been cherishing music since the 70's. I live in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan and can't drive great distances to audition anything. I'm searching for used monitors or bookshelves under $2,000. I'm more than willing to accept something 5-10 years old so that I can get a better value for my buck (someone else has already paid for the depreciation). Of the many, many speakers I've owned in the past my favorites were Alon IVs and JBL 4311s.

The speakers will be used as part of a 5.1 surround consisting of a Marantz SR-18 receiver, Carver Sunfire Junior sub, a center to be purchased in the future to match the mains, and Klipsch surrounds. I mostly listen to 5.1 concert DVDs - my favorites including Eric Clapton, Sting, Sade and Chris Botti. On the other hand, I occasionally listen to stuff like AC/DC or Insane Clown Posse. And lots of benefit concert stuff with multiple artists of different musical types.

My room is about 15' X 20' with 8' of open space leading into a dining room (to the left of the speakers). Carpeted floors and an L-shaped big sectional.

I've recently purchased B&W VM1s and B&W DM 605 S2s. I'm disappointed in both. The VM1s didn't produce enough of anything, the 605s - even after playing with the settings - sounded "boomy" to me.

Doing research online, I seem to be leaning towards another pair of Alons/Nolas, Dynaudio, Revels and Proacs. Please - don't grump at me for anything I've overlooked since I'm trying my very best. ANY suggestions are sincerely appreciated! THANKS! -Bob
kewadinbob

Showing 1 response by michaelkingdom

For monitor/bookshelves in the sub $2000 range I would not hesitate to recommend the B&W 805N. This is a magic speaker. I had the 605 S2 and there is no correlation at all. 805N do so much right it is unbelievable. Their current model, the 805D at $5k is (in my opinion and many others) not at the same level. They hold their value, selling for $1500-$2k consistently.