Advice on monitor/bookshelves under $2,000

OK - I'm not an audiophile but have been cherishing music since the 70's. I live in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan and can't drive great distances to audition anything. I'm searching for used monitors or bookshelves under $2,000. I'm more than willing to accept something 5-10 years old so that I can get a better value for my buck (someone else has already paid for the depreciation). Of the many, many speakers I've owned in the past my favorites were Alon IVs and JBL 4311s.

The speakers will be used as part of a 5.1 surround consisting of a Marantz SR-18 receiver, Carver Sunfire Junior sub, a center to be purchased in the future to match the mains, and Klipsch surrounds. I mostly listen to 5.1 concert DVDs - my favorites including Eric Clapton, Sting, Sade and Chris Botti. On the other hand, I occasionally listen to stuff like AC/DC or Insane Clown Posse. And lots of benefit concert stuff with multiple artists of different musical types.

My room is about 15' X 20' with 8' of open space leading into a dining room (to the left of the speakers). Carpeted floors and an L-shaped big sectional.

I've recently purchased B&W VM1s and B&W DM 605 S2s. I'm disappointed in both. The VM1s didn't produce enough of anything, the 605s - even after playing with the settings - sounded "boomy" to me.

Doing research online, I seem to be leaning towards another pair of Alons/Nolas, Dynaudio, Revels and Proacs. Please - don't grump at me for anything I've overlooked since I'm trying my very best. ANY suggestions are sincerely appreciated! THANKS! -Bob
kewadinbob

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

It seems that the LSA 1 Statement version of their LSA 1 monitor would be a good candidate. The Statement is a hotrodded version of their basic LSA 1 monitor with the addition of better cabinet damping material, bigger, heavy-duty crossover components, and most of all, a tweeter upgraded from fabric dome to an Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. Originally these were sold through a dealer network at $2500-2800/pair and garnered some pretty enthusiastic reviews at that price. Recently, however, LSA has gone Internet-Direct via Underwood Hi-Fi and the price has been dropped to $1699/pair in rosewood.

Google "LSA1 Statement review" and you'll find plenty of rave reviews for this speaker at its original price of $2799. It was also an Absolute Sound 2013 Editor's Choice in the $2k to $3K range. The picture in the article is of the standard model, but the version they were recommending is the Statement version with the ribbon tweeter. Notice that it's right next to the B&W PM1 at $2800 and that's some seriously good company. But the LSA1 Statement is now $1699.

I have no affiliation with either LSA or Underwood.