Advice on compensating for hearing loss

Here's a puzzle: I'm an 84-year-old music/movie lover with considerable hearing loss (especially upper register), helped to some extent by high-end Oticon hearing aids.  Current system is an Arcam AVR300 receiver and a pair of Von Schweikert  VR-1 bookshelf speakers, old but still working well. What kind of additions/ improvements can I make that would at least  help with dialogue and lyrics and possibly even make music (classical, jazz, bluegrass, folk, rock) more enjoyable? A center speaker?  Which ones (since the Von Schweikert's can't be matched I've been considering everything from Polk CD10 to Elac C5 to Aperion 5C)? Would a subwoofer help? Anything else? I'm not much interested in surround per se unless it helps with the issue. I'm sure I'm not the only senior grappling with these and similar questions. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

jessleo
For movie/tv I would definitely suggest a center channel speaker. If you run an auto calibration go in manually and bump up the center channel until you get the effect you want.

My dad is now 83. Several years ago he was complaining about not being able to watch TV because he couldn't make out the dialog over the soundtrack. He was just using the TV speakers so I set him up with a soundbar that allowed for adjusting the 'Center Channel' level and it was a huge improvement. 
Thanks to everyone. I'll get a center  speaker. Any suggestions given my gear (Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers and an Arcam AVR300).
I'm considering a Polk CD!0, Elac Debut C52 and at the high end (if this would really make a difference) Aperion Intimus 5C. All of those  have soft dome tweeters as do the VS's.
My 84 year old dad said headphones make it much clearer.  However, he hates wearing them.  He just blasts the Zvox sound base.

Have you tried the mono switch on your arcam?  That should help until you find a  matching center.