advice needed on 1st real stereo system

Hi everyone,

I am a 1st time "real" stereo buyer and would really appreciate some advice from a community of experts. I am looking for a system for my living room (about 20x20), for a wide range of music (jazz, classical, rock) and tv/movies etc.

1. I am looking at the Peachtree Decco/Nova amps. I get that the Nova has more power, but will the Decco suffice at 65 w per channel? I will not be blasting music at full volume, but does wattage also improve sound at low/moderate levels?

2. I am looking at a pair of Totem Rainmaker speakers, any thoughts on these or others?

3. Do expensive speaker cables make a difference?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!
newguy1

Showing 1 response by harri009

I would go with the Nova over the Decca. You are correct that added power helps with dynamics especially with you liking classical music. Also looking at the ohm power ratings of the two the Nova being more powerful comes much closer to doubling its power into 4 ohms. This generally means that the power supply is a little more robust. As far as totems Inhabe not heard them but they generally receive good reviews. I wouldn't bother with cables until all your other componets are a little closer to being topped out. While cables do make a difference it's nothing comparable to upgrading your speakers.