Advice from members

I have just started putting my first system together and have been enjoying it for about 6 months or so and am starting to research what I should upgrade in the current system next. I am looking to improve both clarity and soundstage. This is what I am currently running, the biggest and most noticable difference to date has come with the introduction of room correction via the Dspeaker Dual Core. Here is the current setup. I am debating on simplifying by going to a all in one solution like a Anthem STR integrated OR introducing a higher quality DAC into the current system:
  • Source: Innuos Music Server (MINI MK2) running Roon server and being used as a player
  • DAC/Preamp/Room Correction - Antimode Dual Core. - To leverage the best input on the dual core I am using a Musical Fidelity VLINK USB to SPDIF (24/96) converter
  • AMP - Using a Jolida 1501P Hybrid AMP
  • Speakers - ELAC Unifi UF5 Floor Standing with a ORB Audio 200 watt Sub that is corrected via the Dual Core.
I am wondering what the weakest link the chain is and the one I should look at upgrading next.
Many thanks in advance, looking forward to everyones feedback.
palakapatel

Probably the USB converter. This is mostly about lowering jitter, but USB has its problems as well. If you want to make an immediate improvement and want to stay with USB, replace the converter with a Berkeley USB converter.  Maybe you can get one used on Audiogon.

Another option is to add a $599 Synchro-Mesh reclocker to the S/PDIF output of your MF USB converter. This will be the least expensive option.  You will need a second high-quality S/PDIF cable like the Empirical Standard BNC cable with RCA adapters.  This will lower jitter, but will not fix any issues related to USB. It should improve clarity significantly.  If your Music Server has S/PDIF output, you can also use it here and eliminate the USB converter.

If you want to get the ultimate improvement in clarity, depth, width and detail as well as dynamics, change to an Ethernet converter.

You can go direct Ethernet by buying a DAC with Ethernet input or get an outboard Ethernet converter that will give you a really low jitter S/PDIF coax output, like the Interchange from Empirical Audio.  Less than 18psec of jitter.  This is not the inexpensive way to go, but you will have a world-class digital feed for any DAC. Interchange costs $2999.00 plus shipping.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

We are masters of low jitter systems.

IMO the Jolida is the weak link here.Have you changed the tube from the factory tube?A good tube could open up the soundstage as well as clarity.Also a better power cord(nothing crazy)might lower the noise floor,again helping with clarity...Good luck..
I don’t understand why you decided to cover the usb output from the streamer to optical, when the Dual Core has a usb input. I would get rid of it, and just connect via usb. USB is a very good digital connection, and measurably better than optical (and don't waste money on the scam of fancy digital interconnects). Did you ask DSpeaker in Finland? You can just give them a call and you get to talk to one of the engineers.
Personally I am not a fan of tube amplifiers, but the biggest sound quality improvement usually comes from better speakers. In your case, that is where I would go first, apart from selling that usb to optical converter.
Willemj - Thanks for the response.  The reason I am using the SPDIF (optical) over the usb is because the USB on the dspeaker is limited 24/48 where as the SPDIF goes upto 24/96.  The US distributor has also suggested that the best sounding and performing input is indeed the SPDIF, something I was able to confirm after a series of A/B tests.