Advice for killer desktop speakers

I am looking to upgrade my desktop listening experience and could use the advice of the community. Is there anything in the same price range as the Audioengine 5+ that I should consider? The Audioengines seem to be the consensus choice, but am unsure if this is just online hype and inertia. I do not want a subwoofer and I do not have enough desk space to go any bigger than the Audioengine 5. I tried using a pair of Kef Q150 speakers paired with a Dayton Audio APA 150 amp, but the speakers are just too big for my desk.  I think i would prefer to have powered speakers for the simplicity and utilize the Dayton in another room. I  normally listen at moderate volumes and need them to sound good at relatively low levels.  Any suggestions?
jplunkettj
Also consider Acoustic Energy AE1 Actives. List price is British Pound 1K.

They will save you on the cost of an amplifier.

Just over 9 inches deep.

Several have mentioned other types of studio monitors. They all have their benefits for mixing engineers, but the sound isn't always as nice as a set of audiophile speakers.  Studio Monitors are usually designed for mixing engineers that have a very different requirement (need to pull out and identify individual instruments for a good mix).  That doesn't always equal a pleasant sound (or as pleasant).

The Acoustic Energy AE1 are some very excellent active speakers, but they are basically four times as much as Audioengine 5+. 

I think the good old Yamaha studio monitors sound very natural as well.  The HS5 are at the same price point of Audioengine 5+.

Has anyone used Tannoy Revolution XT Mini monitors on their desktop?
Totem Mites?
They would be powered with a DaytonAudio APA 150 amp and Schiit Fulla DAC.

Or get the Audioengine A5+ and use the Dayton in another room?

I enjoy the AVI ADM9.1. Kinda big for a desktop, but not bad.

DAC, Subwoofer out, DSP crossover before the amp(s), A/D conversion. Great guy at Overture too.  Newest version:

http://www.overture-audio.com/product_lines/avi/html/ADM_9RSS.html

Last year I bought a set of Edifier R1700BT powered speakers for my daughter, and had never heard them until a later visit to her place in CO. I was amazed at how good the damn things are, and that's coming from an Audio Snob perspective. These things are around 175 bucks, and if they don't make this model anymore (they might) I bet their other stuff sounds good also.