Advice for first pair of Maggies

I's like some feedback on purchasing my first pair of Maggies, specifically a new pair of MMGs vs. a used pair of something else.

A new pair of MMGs are the top of what I can pay now, and ideally I'd go with something less. Are there any advantages to the MMGs over other used models? Should any older models be avoided?

I will be powering the speakers with TAD Hibachi amps and an AES AE-3 pre-amp. I think this will make a good combo from what I've read, but I haven't actually heard these speakers in person.
meskandar

Showing 3 responses by stickman451

The further you can place the Maggies from the front wall the deeper and bigger your soundstage will become. Three feet is okay, but six would probably be better...

All Maggies are Fantastic, especially for the money. However, they are probably not the best all-around 'rock' speakers; if your diet is really heavy into rock then I'd look for another option.
If you are listening primarily to jazz and classical I think that you would be very happy with the Maggies. Of course, if you can, as always, 'try before you buy.' Perhaps a fellow Audiogoner can let you get by for a personal audition. I'm in the Atlanta area.
BTW, doesn't Magnepan sell the MMG's direct with a 30 or 60 day money-back guarantee?