Advice for a new hi-fi customer

Hello, I'm hoping I can get some help/comments/suggestions in upgrading my system. I have consumer level stuff and only recently realised what I have been missing. I use my current system for audio and home theater. I know I need to upgrade everything but only have the $$ to do it in stages. Currently: Kenwood AV reciever VR-2080 (100wX5 with preamp outputs) Kenwood DV-2070 DVD player Bose 201 Bookshelfs Bose Acoustimass II Series 5 (Two sats and one passive sub) Bose VCS-10 center Cheap cables connecting them right now. I wish I had known more before I got some of the stuff I did, but c'est la vie. I am making up for that now by doing lots of research/listening before I buy anything again. I have listened to and really like the Magnepan 1.6 speakers.(86db sensitivty) I would like to purcahse those as my first upgrade. The Kenwood "should" be able to power them (not well, I know. :)). But what I would like to know is where I should spend my next 1000.00. I have put a general price cap for myself at 1000.00 per component or upgrade. For example, I was looking for 2 channel amps in the 1000.00 range to conmsider after getting the maggies. All components need to be compatible with home theater. I will probably use the preamp section of the kenwood for a while since getting a hi-fi piece to replace it and to what it does (AC-3, DTS, ) is rather expensive. I listen to all types of music but generally do my critical listening to female vocalists like Tori Amos, Liz Phair, Ani D'franco, Jewel, Leah Andreone. Also listen to, but not very critically, rock, alternative, eletronic, classical, jazz, blues, techno, even some rap. I have heard the 1.6's paired with KRELL 250mc monoblocks and a wadia 850 cd transport and REALLY liked the sound. (Of course total system price was like 17,000) Also liked the time i heard a different set of 1.6 with Rotel CD player and 130w Rotel amp, but the bass wasn't "as" nice. (this is MUCH more in my price range) So you could use that as a reference of my tastes. My room is medium sized maybe 18x20. (Haven't actually moved into it yet.) Thanks for any help, Nathan
nathan
Better check the preamp capabilities of the Kenwood VR2080. I had one and thought of doing the same only to find that the preamp was only for the sub. Could be wrong but check it out.
Welcome to the jungle! You might be even more confused now after all these so very different suggestions, the ambiguity of the world of Hi-Fi. I have been slowly building up my system on a budged for several years now, and the lesson learned is to read and listen with an open mind about/to as many components and speakers as possible before buying. An then we have to set priorities, make choices. What is your priority here, home-theater or music listening? When on a budget, is is hard to put together a system that does both well. And the logic of numbers tells us that home-theater setup costs more with more channels and speakers etc. My personal opinion is that quality is more crucial for music listening.. the sound is all that there is, no visual stimulation to go along with it. You already have a 5 channel receiver with pre-outs, which would be a good enough add-on to a better stereo music system, used only for movie play-back along with your Bose speakers for rear. Then your focus should be on the front channels (i.e. your stereo system), where you could get good integrated amp for less than $1000 (and run the L-R main pre-outs from the Kenwood through it for movies), and better quality speakers along with matching center. And, as hifi4me suggested, a good CD player like the Cal Audio is a must (check them out used). If you listen a lot to female vocalists, it is a must to check out monitors like the NHT Super-Zeros/One or the B&W DM302 which cost only $250-350 a pair, and complement them with a sub for hometheater. The Super-Zeros can be found here at Audiogon for as low as $140 with a matching sub for $300-400, and these are shielded for hometheater use. But listen somewhere before you buy, and read the literature. Good Luck!
speakers 1st, used separate ht electronics nest beginning a 5ch amp, adcom is surprisingly revealing of what comes before it. remember, youre going 1k increments. then a sunfire theater forntend for ht. thats where you might want to actually spend $. im personally using adcom 555II with a dynaco passive 5 ch box but running the front spks directly from the amp. works fine and cheeeeeep. spkr wire for the rears and center is malibu lighting wire, 16ga, good insulation, and cheeeeep. have fun!
It's great that you have an interest in hearing how pleasing music can sound. Remember, what someone else says sounds good may not sound good to you. You really need to listen to music you know on various systems. If the music makes you smile and makes you tap your feet, you found it. Enough of the "theory". Here's a system recommendation: Bryston electronics, Rotel CD player, Maggie 1.6 speakers. Try it if you can.
The maggie 1.6QR's might blow your receiver to kingdom come. You're receiver probably outputs 8 ohm loads. The magnepans are (probably) 4ohms or less. You will want to make sure your receiver can drive these before connecting it up.