ADS L1290 Speakers

Hello all and happy Memorial Day weekend.  I recently made a couple changes to my audio system.  I was using a Yamaha DSP A1 integrated amp (about 120 watts per channel) with a set of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-27 floor standing speakers (both about 20 years old).  I recently acquired a pair of ADS L1290 speakers and a Sansui B-2101 power amp at 200 watts per channel (with 600 watt).  I am keeping the Yamaha in line for its preamp (at least for the time being).  I also will continue to use a 15" Mirage FRX-S15 powered downfiring subwoofer.

Which is a better option? The Yamaha has a setting to push everything below 70 Hertz just to the subwoofer.  Would it be better to engage that or have the full signal range go to the L1290's with the subwoofer in play? 

Also, what's the best toe-in for these speakers?

Thanks
128x128cspiegs
I think you've got to try it both ways....but if you don't listen really loud...say 90db and higher, I suspect you will like running the ADS full range...why, because for all the bass notes that start out in the 40-70hz range...the ADS will set the basic tone that you hear and the sub will provide the "feel"...if you go the other route and crossover at 70hz, you have the problem of getting a good blend....and the 40-70 hz leading edge notes from the sub won't sound as good as from the ADS....try it both ways and let us know what you preferred.
ditto with toe in, try some....ADS lean ever so slightly to forward in treble, so I never point tweeter too far in...and I sold a TON of them and still have a pair of the small three ways....

buy Smiths book on getting better sound
I started this with purchasing a pair of KLH Kendall speakers. After trying these out at home, I decided that they were not the significant improvement I was looking for (they are going back to the store I purchased them at) over my Wharfedales. I was gong to next try the Vandersteen 2CE's (since many people recommended them). I then acquired the ADS L1290's which blew me away (detail, presence, soundstage, dynamic range and depth are all heightened more than ever before). I may still get the Vandersteen's just to satisfy my curiosity, but this may be the end of the rabbit hole for me.
    Not long after I got a pair of ADS L1090s (very similar to 1290s but with ~7" dia. twin woofers instead of 8" ones. Then I moved to the Boston area and it was easy to get some factory platform/plinths for them. A year later I got some floor spikes for the plinths. This tightened up and clarified the sound. I towed the speakers in toward the sided of my head and got an improvement in imaging.

A few years later I got a VSP Labs Gold Edition very high current MOSFET amp. This was J. Gordon Holt's favorite amp when it was in production in the mid-'80s. It put out 200 wpc into 8 ohms, double that into 4 ohms, was stable down to zero ohms.

That extra power and current made the bass deeper, fuller, *and* cleaner.
Johnnyb53, I have read that the ADS's like lots of power.  Your VSP Labs is similar in power rating to my Sansui.  When I was running them with my Yamaha (110 wpc), they were nice, but really came alive with the Sansui.  I've heard the Sansui has tonal characteristics like a tube amp and will sweeten the sound of the L1290's. I don't have much experience with different amps, but this combination seems like a winner. 
the 1290s are rated at 90db and i never found them to be power-hungry--i ran mine with a 60w arcam integrated and a 70w rotel amp and they sounded very good (which isn't to say they wouldn't sound better with more power, but they are quite efficient)
Loomisjohnson, I always thought these were efficient speakers.  However, they sound much better with the Sansui B-2102 than my Yamaha DSP A1.  Of course it could be more of better components in the Sansui. 
cspiegs--i'm not surprised. the dsp a1 seems to have a good power supply but it's an avr and has alot of electronic circuitry and junk in the box--your sansui is likely a lot cleaner signal
I’m actually running my ADS speakers with a [TPA3255] chip amp and they sound spectacular.

this may be the end of the rabbit hole for me.

If it has an end it’s not a proper rabbit hole.
I run L1290 MkII with a vintage HK 430 receiver, all of 25 watts and that's plenty. The combo sounds absurdly good.

I have owned and still own many models of a/d/s. But the L-1290 combined with the PA-1 will end my quest. I have 2 pairs. I used them for years without the PA-1’s, then after searching for years acquired them and now I’m satisfied that they provide all the audiophile qualities I’ve been seeking and I’m now ready to stop analyzing and just enjoy the music. The 1290's are a good value and a decent speaker without the PA-1, but with it, produce the sound stage and imaging somewhat lacking without it. Failing to pull them out into the room, you will probable discern no difference, but when positioned correctly this combination of bi-amping unveils a detail and a space between the notes that simply wasn’t there before. I can only best describe the (space between the notes) as a silence, a lack of sound, no smearing, as if an envelope of time has increased to enable the listener to not just hear the music but that spacing when there is no sound and an ability to locate within the sound stage precisely the placement of each instrument and musician. Now there are better speakers, but at at a lot more money. There are some reasonable priced speakers, like the Magnepan’s, which will produce fantastic detail, but flat panel ribbons fail to produce the front to back sound stage and imaging that a dynamic driver can. I’ve used them with and without my sub-woofers and for most music, the additional extension is just not needed. The bass roll off specs on the speaker is listed as flat to 40 hz, yet is not listed with the PA-1, other than to suggest the amp extends to base down further and to that I must agree. Yet, I’ve never sensed any distortion, no matter how loud I wish to search for that sweet spot volume. If anything the volume levels are enjoyable at any level. Now I’ve read many comments from others who have went from without the PA-1 to with it and have been disappointed, as to discern no difference. I can only conclude they haven’t the patience, nor experience to discern what this combination is capable of producing. There are better speakers to evaluate equipment. I've spent too many years evaluating it and just want to have fun.I think many may have unrealistic expectations, anticipating the clouds to part and an euphoric chorus of angels to descend upon them. For those who are disappointed, I’ll gladly purchase their PA-1’s from them and continue this diseased passion to the next level.