Adding mass to a tonearm

I would like someone to explain to me why adding headshell weights doesn't really alter the mass of the tonearm that much when figuring cart vs tonearm compliance. I have a Denon DL-103r and I keep reading that's it's for high mass tonearms. I also hear that adding headshell weights doesn't really alter the mass. What gives?

I want to try a DIY on my Pioneer PL-530 turntable tonearm where I mask off the arm such that only the chrome arm on the headshell side is visible and spray it with Plastidip. This would seem to add mass and resonance control. If it doesn't work the I can just peel it off.  
last_lemming
Soundsmith has  different headshell cartridge screws that changes mass.  Has anyone used these things?
New Pioneer PLX- 1000 comes with weights for both headshell  and rear of  arm .
Also smokes my 2K  TT.
SME III w/ 5 g wand comes with 2 weights for headshell each 2.2 g, so you can add extra mass of 4.4 g for less compliant cartridges. Convenient. 

Soundsmith has different headshell cartridge screws that changes mass. Has anyone used these things?

Yes, they use 3 types of metal and their weight is about 5g. The problem is, they are high and they raise tonearm’s centre of gravity.

I got better results with a heavier counterweight.

emil, 
I had exactly the same problem with them, cure was worst than the disease !