Adding a SS amp as a 2nd amp for my tube rig has been a plus

I'm really glad to have purchased a solid state amp, used, to go with my tube gear. Just the perfect solution to when I grab a moment or two to listen — that hour between work and dinner, for example. There's not enough time to warm up the the tube amps, but I turn on the tube preamp, turn on the solid state amp, and I'm in business.

I spent about 5:1 for the tube stuff (including the better tubes) relative to the SS amp, but I think spending that small extra portion on a slightly better tube rig wouldn't have gotten me as much.

Sonically, the tube stuff is superior — BUT I get a slightly different angle with the ss gear. For example, some rock sounds better with the solid state. Also nice to have a solid state when I swap different speakers in to try out.

Convenience-wise, I get more listening in to have that ss as a second amp. Most of the time, I just listen to tube, but when I can't make listening an "event", I still find myself listening.

Yes -- some additional costs (extra interconnect, extra speaker cables) but I am not the sort who breaks the bank on those items, so pretty negligible added cost.

For what it's worth. Anyone else done this?
128x128hilde45
I have much more often read that solid-state gear takes much longer to warm up. In fact, some people keep their solid-state running 24 seven. I typically hear that tube gear takes a maximum of 30 minutes to warm up.
@jjss49 Yes, the low powered tube siren doth summon me to her tropical isle...
I did the same thing this summer - too hot to run my Supratek preamp and DeHavilland GM70 amps, so I bought a used Pass INT-25. I’m using the same cables for each system so I have to switch them out, but that’s easy to do. The price on my SS vs tubes is in the same ballpark, and the audio quality is similar too, although they do differ in some aspects. In my limited comparisons so far, when I run the tubes I like them better, and when I run the Pass SS, I like it better.

LOL I use both at the same time. SS bottom, Valve top, been that way for 30 plus years.

The summertime (about 3 months), I go SS power amp top and bottom.
I couldn't take the heat, but I sure loved the sound. C20, MC240, and a MC275, or a pair of 60s,
It got HOT, in a 16 X 20 X 8, Jensen Imperials, Horns and subs.
Serious SPL too, were talking window breaking STUFF. 110 X 110

110 db by 110 degrees, or more, I never really pushed it. with valves.

SS Mac gear, my Lord! 125-30. Brain emulsification. :-)

Regards