adding a DAC/Streamer or what

Good morning,
I have Kef Ref 5's and likely adding a Pass Lab Int 250. Wondering everyones opinion on DAC/Streamers? Also does this equipment need to have high price tags to sound great on this system. At this point, I am not thinking of getting into Vinyl.
I really appreciate input before I make this purchase!

raw33

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

Streamers are Computers masquerading as Audio Components.  They can be optimized for sound by eliminating some of the noise a PC puts into a system, but the more important component is the DAC.  You can also use a DAC with other digital sources to enhance all of them.
  I have 3 systems in my home, with 3 different types of streamers.
In my basement HT system a use an old MacAir with a software program, Audirvana Plus, that optimizes the PC for sound.  DAC is an Audiquest Dragonfly.  In my living room HT I have a Bluesound Node2 that feeds an Anthem AVR.  My two channel system uses a Bryson DAC3 and a Bryson BDP3 streamer.  The Bryston sounds the best but it cost 10 times more than the Bluesound.  The PC was headed for the recycle bin.  Files are from a Synology NAS.
Sonically when played through the same DAC, as noted earlier, the Bryston gets the nod, but I could live with the other two as well.
  My take-spend well on a good DAC.  If you buy a combo DAC/streamer and you wish to upgrade one of the two entities within then you have paid for some functionality that is not being used.  Either use a PC or a mid level streamer.  If streaming is for you upgrade later.

Knowing a budget would be helpful.
Node2 has a DAC which you won’t be using, but it’s still a good introduction to streaming.  It has one of the better software packages, which is very important in streaming, and it’s a good enough streamer that many people never feel the need to upgrade. It also does Bluetooth.
Many people don’t find the DAC to be adequate, but some find it sufficient.  One suggestion would be to see what return policy the dealer has.  If he will give you a few weeks then purchase the Node2 and the Chord.  Try the Node2 first by itself for a few days and then add the Chord.  If the Node2 is adequate return the Chord, and if you later hunker for an upgrade, there are many fine DACs in every price range, or just purchase the Chord.  Later on you may feel the need to change the streamer and at least the Node2 is a relatively small investment.
  Another option is to purchase the DAC and try it with a PC for a while before deciding if you need a streamer.
10K is a healthy amount of samolians to heave at this issue.  Still, I recommend being cost effective, in case you want to upgrade.
As indicated earlier I would buy a great DAC and start with a budget streamer, possibly even a PC.  With that budget I would do something much better than the Chord.  So ask yourself what features you want in a DAC.  I use a Bryson DAC3, which besides being a great DAC, as 4 HDMI inputs.  I have many Blu Rays/DVD-A and Blu Rays and the DSD and other high res formats can be sent to the DAC over HDMI (a television can also outputHDMI).  Perhaps this HDMI feature has zero relevance for you, but the Bryson at about 3.5K is still a great DAC.  The Bryston USB inputs are not inferior to their other digital inputs.  Many DACs have an Achilles Heel and that is unacceptable, because many streamers only stream over usb.  I have also owned the Mytek Manhattan, which has no HDMI but retrieves an unbelievable amount of detail.
  Anyway, I would spend 3-5K on a killer DAC, and start slow on the streamer.  A PC optimized with a program such as Audirvana Plus or the Bluesound Node2i.
Another 1-2 K on  a NAS (Synology or perhaps a Melco  N100) if you have a big CD collection to convert to streaming files