ADCOM HC/E II cartridge mothballed 25 years ago.

I just started getting serious again with vinyl. I have a Dual CS5000 with an ADCOM HC/E II cartridge that I took out of mothballs. It was a purchase from a little know speaker manufacturer in NW Ohio. Spectrum Loudspeaker bought it for a tradeshow in the early-80s. I made use of it for a while and then moved on to CDs. The cartridge was an upgrade over the OEM. Spectrum was extremely particular about using this cartridge for the tradeshow.

My questions concern this combo: How likely are the cartridge and stylus to be in good working condition? Can I expect problematic degradation over the past 25 years of no use? And if they are likely to be in fine working condition should I change the headshell to the VTA pitch adjustment headshell?

I do not know what this cartridge requires for setup.

128x128scroydon

jasonbourne52:

I have the AT stylus cleaner on order.

Back in the day, I used RCA's Discwasher for record care. Still have it. I even have the photon blaster, ZeroStat. I managed to light up my finger with it. LOL

Poking around "Jeff's Place," I found a kinds of vinyl traps and so on. Few are known to me. I figure if AT puts their name on it it may be a good product. The record washers look intriguing but I don't have any ideas about them.

I will order vinyl covers for both sleeves and pressings. are there covers for CD cases?

Thank you for your advice!

elliottbnewcombjr:

I'll look into the MG Chemicals 408C Rubber Renue product.

Thanks.

teo_audio:

Very wise thinking, especially on NOS items that can be found. Definitly looking to spend more green on older vinyl and pre-compession CDs.

If the TT motor gives me issues then I may have to consider NOS.

Found one website offering a power cord for the Dual at $25. What a poser!

lewm:

The plan is to give the ADCOM a try. I may be good enough until I have to find a replacement.4

Thanks!

Lastly, concerning static charge.

I have seen many carbon fiber brushes to sweep away static. Bushes, too for cleaning the grooves.

These items that touch the vinyl surface give me the willies. Can these really protect the record surface without harming the grooves?