Adcom GFP 750 preamp problem

Greetings,

I turned-off my system one night, and turned it on again the next night, but got no sound. I tried everything, but nothing until I flipped the switch from active to passive. It will work on passive only, and now there is a smell coming from the unit.

Any ideas? Thanks.
threeangelsrider
What we have here, folks, is a 10 year old thread.  Try checking the date before you respond to a thread you've dug up.
Post removed 
Post removed 
Thank you all so very much. I will open her up, and see what I see. I don't know very much when it comes to the inner workings, but maybe something will be obvious.

Thanks again.
Not everyone here may be aware that the GFP-750 is a Nelson Pass design. From Stereophile's review, written by Wes Phillips:
The GFP-750 is a Nelson Pass design—essentially a variation on the Pass Labs Aleph P and Pass's DIY project .... The preamplifier that most reminded me of the GFP-750 was the Mark Levinson No.380S, which costs $6495.... I've gone just gaga over it, not simply because it performs well for the money, but because it begs comparison with the best preamplifiers I've ever heard. Period.
Also, I strongly second Elizabeth's recommendation that the unit not be operated in passive mode until the problem with active mode is resolved. Given that it is producing a smell, continuing to operate it could very conceivably lead to further secondary damage, or even a fire hazard.

Regards,
-- Al
I've never been a fan of the Adcom sound. The 750 is cut from different cloth. Of course, just my opinion.
No, not at all. I was basing my totally uninformed opinion of it on my experience with one of their larger amps from the late eighties, a GFA-555 I think it was. It sounded like all of the bad things that people accuse bad solid state of sounding like. Friends of mine agreed.
Roxy54, the 750 is a surprisingly good sounding preamp. Have you spent any time listening to it?
Take a pill Liz...I am only sayiing that he could get better sound elsewhere, and of course it doesn't have to be tubes. I have both. Sheesh...
Post removed 
Sounds like a great excuse to ditch it and buy something that sounds better. Get yourself a modestly priced tube pre and start living.