Adcom GFP-750 Modfication Question

Has anyone had their Adcom GFP-750 preamp modified or heard one thats been modified by Stan Warren at Supermods in Eugene,Oregon?
If so, does it make a big improvement?If so, in what ways?
What all does he do to it? Or, am I better off keeping it stock from the factory?
daltonlanny

Showing 3 responses by daltonlanny

Ritteri,
He supposedly works on the active stage.Changes the capacitors to Black Gates.How much he charges, I have no idea.I hope someone will tell me.I tried to call but there was no answer.You can call him at 1-541-344-3696.Best times are between 1:00 p.m and 4:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.If you find out anything,please post it or e-mail me.
Hey Lmack,
What all sonic improvements, top-end, midrange, and bottom-end did you gain after you had your former Adcom gfp-750 modified by Stan Warren at Supermods with the Black Gate caps? How substantial were the improvements? Is it worth the trouble of packing it up, sending it out, and paying $150.00 in your opinion? Please describe the sonic improvements in detail.
A very important question: Is there any way the sonic performance of the active stage of the Adcom GFP-750 could be DOWNGRADED by having the caps changed to Black Gates, compared to stock? My system sort of sounds dark and warm to begin with.Would there be too much warmth and an even darker sound by going with the Black Gates? Is there any improvements to soundstaging, imaging, and/or image focus by going to Black Gates? What exactly happens to the top-end when going to the Black Gates? Does it stay the same, open up more, gain detail, or does it sort of darken and become more laid-back? Your detailed input would be greatly appreciated.