Adcom GFA-5802 Stereo Power Amplifier to drive Andra speakers!Is it a good choice

Dear All,

Years and years after my original post for issues with the Andra I speakers I had an amazing yet surprising experience. Initially I used to drive them musical fidelity KW500 which was bright. I sold the musical fidelity and I out the Andras on the side of the room, took picture to sell them. Then I thought of testing them where they are in the room(against another wall perpendicular to original location. I put them 3-4 feet apart(that all I  an do), hooked them to 120 WPC Harman Kardon stereo receiver(that is I have at the moment, I pulled it form the basement) and tried it on my Denon 5901 DVD player. To say the least, I have never heard the speakers before. It was the room, I heard music. The notes were coherent and everything made sense. Bass is very light to non-existing, but the music is there especially the mid range. Enya's watermark album was amazing. I listened for ours and would not leave the  room. Now I am comparing this $300 receiver to the $5000 amplifier in the previous location and it is better from a musicality standpoint.  It was the room folks. Location, location, location.  I will not sell them and I am looking for an amplifier that will drive them without breaking the budget again. Hence my post. what about the  Adcom GFA-5802 Stereo Power Amplifier? if not, any other sgeestion easy on the wallet.
Thanks
Scientist73
scientist73

Showing 2 responses by wolf_garcia

I still have a very inexpensive (bought used anyway) Adcom 5300 (!) that I use for extra (window placed for deck duty) speakers that sounds great. I've had a bunch of Adcom stuff over the years including preamps and a few other amps and all of them worked beautifully. 
Adcom produced a LOT of amps including improved versions of some of them, with reviews all over the map relative to the model. The big mono amps were raved about, as well as the 5800 and 5500...I owned a few of the also well regarded el cheapo 535s (used in recording rigs, etc.) although I think my more current (pun) GFA5300 sounds better, and man…those things are ridiculously inexpensive as mine (the 5300) was bought in mint shape for maybe 125 bucks a few years ago.