Adcom GFA-555 in Mexico on 127 volts?

Wondering how unhappy my GFA-555 might be if I run it on 127 volts in Mexico. Anyone have experience in this area?  Thanks.
foothill

Showing 4 responses by erik_squires

Mechanical hum is an issue with a lot of these I am afraid, including Furman, but I can usually hide mine so it is not noticeable.

Best,

E
The price problem is related to voltage regulation. Voltage regulation requires transformers, which is heavy and therefore expensive.

I think most in the US are fine without them. If you are asking me about running in Mexico, I'd say it was a requirement.

TRUE voltage regulators usually start in the $300-$500 range. Then it's a matter of what else do you want? :)

The SMP (series mode surge suppression) is the one thing I think all power conditioners should have for valuable audio gear, plus it has nice noise suppression all on its own.

I find the LiFT feature in Furman units to offer genuine improvement in sound quality thanks to a lower noise floor. But it IS another step up in price.

Best,

E
Before anyone gets all ethnic, I've also lived in a modern high rise in San Francisco and needed a voltage regulator there. Less black outs, but daily variance in voltage was on the very edge of acceptable.

I'm now in a mid-century complex and voltage is much more stable.

Best,

E
A stable 127 VAC is fine, but I've lived in Mexico and power delivery is usually crap. You definitely want a voltage regulator such as this Furman unit:

http://amzn.to/2yICcaK

Furman (and others) make a dizzying range of power conditioners. You 100% want to make sure it says "voltage regulator." This will adapt the incoming voltage to a sweet voltage range at all times.

In addition, you should get top class voltage surge protection. Furman calls this feature SMP

This is the best unit I know of in terms of reliability, surge, voltage regulation and cost, but shop around, some Agon'ers have gotten about 40% off from list.

http://amzn.to/2zxlD0Q

Best,

Erik