Adcom GFA-555 fuse stuck

Hi there,

I've got an Adcom GFA-555, which I use with a pair of Infinity Kappa 8 speakers.

I was running pretty loud on some low frequencies, and I lost all power from the amp. I figure the Kappas were just drawing too much current, since the woofers can dip down to around 1 ohm with low frequencies.

The power light doesn't turn on, so it shouldn't be thermal shutdown or the transistor fuses. I opened up to check, and they are all fine (I put in 4.5 amp fuses instead of the 6 amp ones spec'd to give me a little safety room). After cooldown it still won't turn on.

I didn't see any scorched components either, but I know from personal experience that that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any burned out components. I don't smell anything, at least.

So I'm pretty sure the problem is that the power fuse is blown. The problem is, the screw-in plastic holder is cracked in a couple of places, making normal extraction with a screwdriver impossible.

I thought about trying to super glue it, but I doubt that would hold (and I don't have any on hand any way). I suppose I could epoxy an old screwdriver on to it...

I'm pretty stumped as to what to do - I generally tackle this kind of stuff myself, although at this point I know I need a replacement holder in addition to the fuse anyway.

My only thought is to take it to a general electronics repair shop - there's no real audio repair shops in town AFAIK, and the nearest Adcom authorized repair shop is an hour and a half drive away. As long as it's just the fuze, it shouldn't be that difficult of a job - which is why I'd like to do it myself if possible.
blackbeardben

Showing 1 response by magfan

The big question remains.
Why and HOW do you melt a fuse holder? Can the amp 'take it'? Sure doesn't seem like it. You are apparently running this at redline for long time periods.