Adcom GFA-545 - Modify or Move On?

Reading reviews and helpful comments here on Audiogon has been helping me spend money for years but I’ve reached a point with my system that has me stumped as to what to do next.

I’m currently using two vertically bi-amped Adcom GFA-545 amplifiers. I feel they have enough power and I’m able to achieve very good imaging with the Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. Although I don’t find the Adcoms especially bad in any one area I feel there is definitely room for improvement, more liquid mids and softer highs would be great. Further improving the imaging and depth of the sound stage would be additional goals.

So the dilemma; upgrade the Adcoms with the help of Musical Concepts (http://musicalconcepts.com/adcom.htm) or move on. What really got me thinking about moving on are the great reviews on the Odyssey Stratos. At under a grand used this puts this amp within reach of my budget and is roughly the same cost as the modifications that would be performed on the Adcoms. However, my biggest hang-up in this decision is the ability of the current system to image so well. I’m worried that moving to one amp will reduce this ability.

Other details on the system include a Counterpoint SA-1000 preamp, a basic Onkyo carousel through a California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC for the source, Audioquest Copperheads for RCAs and Paul Speltz’s Anti-Cables for speaker cable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
capital_

Showing 1 response by jdoris

A few years ago I replaced my Adcom GFA 555 II with an Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono. I felt there was an appreciable improvement -- while I'm not always sure of the words to use for such camparisons, the Stratos seemed deeper and darker. (Of course, the Stratos was around 1300 USD used, quite a bit more than a used Adcom or even two.) Furthermore, Klaus at Odyssey is well known around here for being a straight up guy who supports his used equipment, so I suspect you'd not regret your purchase -- I certainly have been very pleased. So, although I'm not familiar with the mods in question, I'd 3rd the suggestion to go with a Stratos.

Worth noting, though, that you're contemplating spending in the neighborhood of 1000 USD, whether you do the mods or the Stratos. As Bob_reynolds says, it is possible that you might notice more improvement if you put the grand elsewhere, especially since you like the Adcoms (I liked mine too). Of course, a used Stratos is likely to resell well, so you could "audition" a used one for relatively low risk, and see what kind of result you get. (Though notice that the Stratos is a beefy piece, and the shipping expense may be non-trivial.)

My 2c. John