Adcom 565 mono's vs. Mcintosh 754'S

I am currently using Adcom 565 monos to drive my Legacy audio Focus se's..I have a chance to get a pair of Mcintosh 754's at a really good price. Would this be a upgrade,downgrade,lateral move? Would really like some input from the audiogon group...thanks
lardawg

Showing 1 response by swin1

I used to drive my original FOCUS with the 565's and I felt they did an outstanding job especially on the low end. I moved on at a point to several different amps and finally ended with Bryston 7Bst for several years. I still felt in some ways the Adcoms were the best on the low end but the Brystons were still just overall better. Now I own a pair of FOCUS SE and started with them using the same Bryston. Sounded great. Then I fell into a good deal on a pair of Mac 352's that I bridge and they took the FOCUS to another level. My first Mac and I couldn't be happier. At this point I likely would never change amps as I have never had the same synergy as I do right now so I find it hard to believe it would get better and likely would be worse if I did something else.

With that said I don't know the 754's but I surely can say I love the sound of my Mac on the FOCUS. I did find the preamps made a difference as well so that is part of the equation.