Adcom 555 Mk 2 Questions

I'm a newbie here. I'm hoping someone is familiar with the Adcom amps & can provide some insight.

Long story short: My NAD 2600 blew up from static electricity. A friend who is not an audiophile has offered me an Adcom 555 Mk 2 really cheap for $150.

The rest of my system is: Teac Esoteric P-10 transport to PS Audio sl3 D/A by Illumanati cable. McCormick Line Drive Deluxe passive pre. NHT 2.5I speakers bi-wired. All analog wiring is Tara. Also have analog components & a Pioneer universal SACD player. Listening comments below are with the digital front end.

I just plugged the Adcom in (I'm told it hadn't been used much lately) & have 3 concerns. With all 3 concerns, my question is, "Is this normal behavior for an Adcom amp?

1. The heatsinks are quite hot from playing 4 songs at normal volume

2. There is some light hiss in both channels, even with the input muted. One channel has more hiss then the other

3. The amp is quite a bit brighter then the NAD. It may need to warm up for awhile (though again, the heat sinks are almost too hot to touch)

Thank you for your answers!
moomoo

Showing 1 response by emorrisiv

Has anyone run these amps in mono mode? How did they sound?

I have a old 555 and I think it is a MkII because the RCA inputs are wide apart, not right next to each other as I see the originals are.
It has excellent sound. Not bright at all like some of the folks above speak of. I have it taking signals from a Dynaco Pass and feeding Acoustat 2s. This is great symmetry. The warmish Pas preamp and the big SS Adcom make beautiful music together.
I am interested in modding to some degree. First up will be cutting a hole in the chassis and installing a IEC plug socket. Afterwards the input board caps.
I don't see much to do to the power supply,since it is quite huge. This thing looks like a big empty box with one smallish board, a big toroidal and 4 big power caps.
Any mod info would be helpful.

e