Adcom 5503 not producing Bass

Hey,

Having trouble with Adcom GFA 5503 I purchased off eBay. The amp it not producing any low frequencies. The sound is brittle and very hot sounding. When I switch back to an Adcom GFA 5400 (that I also own), the sound is rich and full. I'm driving a pair of Klipsch RF-3 II speakers. Also, when I hook up the 5503, there is a light hum coming through the speakers. The hum is not present when I hook up the 5400. So, did I get ripped off buying from eBay? I'm thinking about taking the amp to a local repair shop to see if they can help me. Any ideas? What would be causing the amp to not produce any bass/low frequencies?

Thanks so much to anyone taking the time to read this and respond.
schuman

Showing 1 response by zd542

"E-Bay didn't sell you the amp."

Maybe. Ebay didn't make up the ad and take an active role in selling the product but they did take a commission when the sale was made.

"So, did I get ripped off buying from eBay?"

Its a combination. You bought the amp from Ebay and the seller. Since they both made a direct profit from the sale, both have an obligation to the buyer (Although not an equal obligation). Simply put; while Ebay may not take full responsibility for selling you the amp, they are responsible, at the least, for helping you recover the money you lost.

I would contact the seller first. If they have good feedback, they will probably do what ever is necessary to fix the issue. If that doesn't work, eBay should be willing to look into the matter. I don't see them offering to give you a refund (Unless you meet Paypal requirements), but they should try to do something. Its in their best interest to do so. Situations where people get ripped off are very bad for their business. Even if you have a broken amp and can't get your money back, they may give a partial refund (Possibly for things like commission, paypal fees, etc.)