Acurus A200 vs Adcom 5800

I am currently running NHT 2.5i speakers w/ MIT termenator2 speaker cables and have 3 preamps. I have an Adcom GFP-555II
and an Acurus L10 and an Acurus RL-11 preamps. I also have an Arcam Alpha 8SE cd player. I am also using MIT single ended cables to connect the preamp to the amp and the cd player to the preamp.

My question is would the Adcom GFA-5800 amplifier or the Acurus A200 amplifier sound better? I want a detailed sound with a large soundstage. Any help will be appreciated.
verybestaudio

Showing 1 response by bashkin001

I have not heard the Adcom 5800. I own an Acurus A250 (which is basically the same as the A200), powering Totem Model 1 biwires via an Audio Research hybrid preamp. This combination gives a wonderfully musical sound, with great accuracy. Many non-audiophiles and professional musicians have wondered (from around the corner) if the music was live. I use a Rega Planet and Planar 3 as sources, along with an NAD tuner, an HK CD changer with HDCD, and Yamaha KX-500 and cheap JVC double cassette decks. I also use a genesis servo 10 subwooofer with 300 watt amp (the monitors run full range). I have stopped the continual upgrade process for the forseable future. So, in response to the Acurus bashing, my ears tell me otherwise. I suggest you audition the amps at home and trust your ears. Rather than constant A/B switching, try long listening periods (including background listening) and be on the lookout for ear fatigue (I have found that many initially impressive sounds reveal themselves to be harsh, over-etched, whatever your preferred term is, over time).