Active line level crossover with subwoofer out - HELP

Hi.

Helping my friend with another challenge. 
Looking for a line level crossover. His preamp does not have a subwoofer out.

What he wants to do is have a high pass filter between the preamp and his power amp. This so his Spendor BC1’s are spared anything below 40 or 50hz. And, the crossover needs a low pass filter to spare the subwoofer the high frequencies. 
Thoughts? 
Thanks!
perkri

Showing 9 responses by tomic601

Which Quad preamp ? Can rummage thru my box of toys, I know I have the AQ splitters in Seattle, would loan ya but I am not dying to do so... ha
So for an analog solution get din to RCA w splitter and put the analog hipass before the main speaker amp. No EQ but you stay 100% analog.

relatively inexpensive and not complex after initial setup.

must know input impedence of main power amp to calculate/set xover frequency.

best

jim
You do need to use caution inserting active devices with gain into a Quad system. Rated power can happen at .5 v input.
About $100 to find out - you can order a decent quality custom quad DIN to rca cable from amazon.

does he have a Quad power amp also ???
Which war ?

fun room, sounds like a music lover

Bluesound DAC or NAD more than adequate 

have fun !!!!
Whatever route you go with EQ : DSP or analog - get you best signal to background noise possible - run EQ in the hyper low noise wee hours of the morning.
very few audiophiles understand the baseline s/n of the room they listen in. Use the slow weighting on your SPL meter...

for many this may also lead to the realization that noise management may be a much much bigger sonic improvement than an expensive power conditioning gadget... of course, some of us do both....
And finally cut is your friend, boost can really ripple... on a well thought out analog EQ cut is 2x boost....
Also, no matter the route you go ruler flat rarely sounds best - especially in the analog domain.

my favorite analog EQ is the one Roger Modjeski designed for Beveridge .... sweet sounding.. I think Music Reference might still have one or three...
Fixing bass issues in the analog domain with 11 bands of active subwoofer EQ in stand-alone and floorstander speakers for twenty years.... drumroll Vandersteen Audio.... 

re: nodes

can you fix = yes
can you eliminate = no

every room has nodes

the 11 bands are not octave based they were chosen based on typical nodes in American rooms...

Enjoy the music