Acquired A Dynavector DV505 Now I Got To Put It On Something

So I have two tables here that are keepers, the SOTA Cosmos Eclipse and a Well Tempered Reference. I have a third cartridge that might work well on the SME V on the Cosmos, but I don't ever feel like pulling the Transfiguration Proteus off to mount the Ikeda 9 Kawami. So the Ikeda sits in a box, waiting for an appropriate arm for it. 

Well I was window shopping on Canuckmart this weekend and came across a Dynavector DV505 in nice shape but with no box, head shell, or tone arm cable. But the price was $1550 CAD and that translates to about $1275 USD for me. I tried to talk myself out of it, but was unsuccessful, and on Sunday I bought it. So it will be in transit from Canada to me this week, and the reality is its only a couple of hundred miles from here. 

Now I got the cartridge and the arm penciled in. But I have no table. I could trial it on the Well Tempered Reference as there is a flat area to place the arm. This version has a flat mounting base so I don't need to drill a hole as the tone arm cable comes out of the back pillar. I could use a double back tape or blue tak, but its a heavy arm at 1.2 KG, so i don't trust blue tak at all. 

So the question becomes what table to get to put it on. I also don't have a lot of room on my audio cabinet as I have two tables there already. I have thought of a Denon DP80 in a round plinth, or maybe a Sony TTS8000. Both can be obtained out of Japan, but I am not sure how great the bearings are in either table. I know they are well received by the DD crowd, although the Sony gets little mention. 

I have thought a Microseiki would be awesome, but aside from one in Canada that will not ship, these tables are brutally expensive and have to be shipped from China where they are probably in a collectors possession. I had also wondered if there is an appropriate Luxman to look for. Other than that I see this arm used with Garrard 301 from time to time, but they are getting silly priced too. A Technics SP10 is another option, but I have owned one and am not overly fond of it, but I did like it well enough. I sold mine to a good friend, and it was in perfect cosmetic condition, since I am unlikely ever to find one in similar condition, I doubt I will buy another one. 

While I am in no hurry, I am trying to sort through options and see what might work the best for this application. So far the inside track is probably the Denon, but its a matter of finding a plinth builder who will put together one that I really love. 
neonknight

Showing 1 response by jjss49

that dyna arm is one lovely piece of equipment... so cool and so musical...