Acoustat, 121-2a can they be cut down

I have a pair of Acoustat 121-2a that I would like to shorten.....Has anyone tried that ??? Can it be done without a total waste ???
autospec

Showing 2 responses by plato

I believe the panels themselves are 8 or 9 inches wide by 48 inches long... If you remove the socks, you will see exactly how they are made. Obviously you can't cut the panel and leave it functional. Some have wood bases that add a couple of feet and other models use stacked panels. The model number you list is for the electronic interface, so I have no clue which model speaker you have or whether or not it could be made shorter.
You guys are bringing back some Acoustat memories. I had the 1+1's, 2+2's, and Monitor 3's. Basically, the more narrow the panel, the better it will image. That said, using more panels gives you more impact and efficiency.

The 2+2's and Monitor 3's were my favorites and I could live happily with either model. The 2+2's may have imaged slightly better, but the 3's had a bit more midbass impact.

Fire_bottle's idea of cutting the frames so that 2 panels would stand about 5 feet tall (holding the panels 12" off the floor) seems like a good one.

The Monitor 4's had the worst imaging of the lot and you need the right room for those as they are very wide and bass heavy.