Achieving audio system synergy

I am putting together a system after much procrastination. My budget is $5K – 8K (new or used).
My music is a lot of vocal. Opera, Norah Jones, Sinatra. Orchestra, pop and blues.
Sound – needs to be musical but want to hear the details. Don’t want purely clinical. Sound stage is important. Want some warmth but not have all the edges rounded off. The key is to have a system that plays well together and the sum hopefully is better than each individual component can do.
I have bought a Plinius 8200 MkII from a fellow A’goner recently. Have not received it yet. Though I think I will like it I am not married to it.
Room – 12x17x9 with one 17 ft side open into the breakfast and kitchen area.
- wood floor, kind of a hard room.
Components being considered:
Speakers
- Spendor S8e - Read a lot of good things about this. Have auditioned S5e in a local dealer. The room was pretty bad and I could not hear any magic that I was hoping for. Cannot get a local audition of S8e so far. Any help here? (I am in the South San Francisco Bay area). I am tempted to buy the S8e un-auditioned based on review alone (dangerous move).
- Dali Helicon 400 – auditioned it with Simaudio I-3 and Eclipse CDP. Loved the soundstage, the details and overall sound. Concerned about the possible fatigue factor with the high end in long listening
- Harbeth, JMR, Zu and Usher all have good reviews here but hard to get an audition. I am intrigued by JMR and Usher. May try to audition them.
Amp
- Not familiar with tube. So the Plinius hopefully will do.
Source – not a vinyl guy, CDP only
- Ayre CX7e based on review this could be the one. Have not auditioned.
- Simaudio Eclipse – love the details and speed. But not sure it justifies the price
- Tube CDP – open to it. Auditioned Jolida JD 100, not impressed

So I am wondering if a Spendor S8e - Plinius 8200 – Ayre CX7e is a winning combination that can last a long time or there is a better combination.

Thanks for your input in advance

Bill
bill12745

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

Photon46 makes an excellent point regarding room interaction. Type "acoustic foam" into the searchbar on eBay for ideas. Vandersteens- YES, but: Don't pass on listening to a properly set up Magnepan system. You have plenty of room for planars, and Maggie 1.6's are one of the best buys out there(search for reviews). You can contact them and try a pair of MMGs in your home for 60 days- risk free(http://www.magnepan.com/). They probably won't provide enough bass. After you've been addicted to the midrange liquidity, you can send them back, and get a bigger fix, with the 1.6's(better everything). It's hard to beat planars/tubes(ala the PlimaLuna suggestion) for midrange timbre/coherency, imaging, and sound staging. One caveat: If you like live volume levels- you may appreciate the 8200's power. The 8200 in a very good SS piece, but- SS is generally lacking in the ability to recreate a deep/accurate sound stage. For CD I've been using a BAT VK-D5(with six NOS Siemens CCa's from the 60's). The piece simply gets out of the way of whatever is recorded on the CD. I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a Linn CD12, or perhaps: the right Lector. The newer "SE" version is supposed to be quite musical as well, and generally available for 2 to 3 grand used. Save part of your budget for decent interconnects/cables too. Given your tastes for accuracy: Kimber Silver Streaks or KCAGs(for interconnects), Wireworld Atlantis 5/Eclipse or Kimber Monocle XL(speaker cable) are usually available used, at fair prices on eBay or in AudiogoN's classifieds. All those are transparent, uncolored and reasonably priced(even new). I'm using Kimber Selects(KS-1130's, same transparency, even more openess) and the Eclipses. Whatever info was recorded is transferred wonderfully, and very cleanly. BTW: My references are the same as yours with regard to female vocals, and I listen to LOTS of live music. Find a Chesky Jazz Sampler/Audiophile Test CD, and the first Stereophile Test CD to help you check out your systems abilities. Happy shopping!!