Accuphase P-300, worth upgrading?

I recently acquired an Accuphase P-300 power amp and my question is about rebuilding it. I haven't really listened to it yet, other than hooking it up to see if it worked and it seems fine. The amp is in mint condition but it is close to 40 years old so I am sure it needs serviced and I would like to upgrade it to sound as good as it can, if that is practical. If I were to refurbish this amp just how good can it be? What price range in a current amp would it compare to? I have $600 in the amp. Who would you send it to to bring it up to speed? Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated.
wemfan

Showing 2 responses by marakanetz

My advice is to use components as close as possible to authentic and NOT to try to upgrade if you want to keep with Accuphase sound which is already perfect.
Meanwhile enjoy your amp but not overload it at this point.
Mrtennis, unfortunately I can't relate SS fatigue above 1kHz with mods and upgrades to it. There's no general rule of thumb on that, but particular to Accuphase P-300 many folks, owners would NOT suggest any upgrades and keep it as original as possible matching all values replaced circuit elements.

Your task is to find any owner of any accuphase amp that gets fatigue post 1000Hz.

I will be providing service to E202 this weekend and charged $250 for labor only having all parts provided by owner. To my knowlege the parts match ones on the circuit board. My job will include reapplying new solder(purchased by client), cleaning and reconditioning all switches and potentiometers, repairing a volume control, cleaning faceplate, replacing filter and other DC caps and cleaning all RCA sockets and binding posts. There's a shop in Long Island(NY) that would do that for $450 including all circuit elements replaced and serviced. $680 seems to be a professional rip-off.