Accuphase or Esoteric?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new CD player. I've had an Accuphase DP-78 that sounds wonderful, but has developed some mechanical issues, so I think it's time for a new player. I've been offered a great deal on a new Accuphase DP-600, but also very good deals on an Esoteric K-03 or K-01. The only one of any of these I've heard is the K-03. I have a friend who has one, and we auditioned his against my Accuphase side by side, and found them roughly equal in sound quality, although they were different and we preferred one or the other, depending on what was playing. I'm interested in whether anyone has heard the Esoteric against the Accuphase, and also how much better the K-01 really is. The Absolute Sound review was pretty unequivocal, but I never know what reviewers are thinking, and there is a big price difference. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
skreich

Showing 1 response by gocubs999

I have had the K-03 now for about 8 months. As far as the noisy transport, I also read posts of a few remarking on this. My unit works silently and flawlessly. Esoteric is perhaps best known for their VRDS mechanism. They indicate the new VRDS-NEO VMK mechanism is an improvement over previous versions of their VRDS. There are several reference quality companies that use this mechanism in the design of their units, as they are highly regarded for performance and reliability. Nothing is always perfect so I can only conclude folks with noise issues have something seriously wrong with their unit. I use the K-03 for CD/SACD playback and for computer audio. For computer audio I have an Audio Quest Carbon USB directly to the USB input/DAC from a highly modified headless Mac Mini and also Audio Quest Carbon USB to Bel Canto REFLink USB Converter feeding the K-03 using a Transparent Ref 75Ohm Digital cable. My system is capable of portraying even the most discrete micro/macro transients and the level the K-03 has taken my rig is nothing shy of amazing. Once you get the settings dialed in to your liking, just sit back and enjoy the music. I have a hard time thinking that anyone acquiring this unit would be anything but highly satisfied; it is truly a reference quality swiss army knife of playback units. Have not heard the K-03, but; have spoken to others that have listened side by side and the improvement/feedback varies from a 10% - 20% improvement in performance. That said several dealers I have spoken with have commented this represents the best value in the current K line.