Accuphase E-470 or Luxman 590ax II ?

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy either a Accuphase E-470 or Luxman 590ax II for nearly the same price, the speakers are Graham Audio LS 5/9 (bbc speakers) 
The 470 I know is powerful enough , and I been told that the Luxman is much more powerful than the 30 Watts would suggest and should drive the 5/9 without problems in my 18 kvadrad room.
I don’t have a opportunity to try the amps at home.
From a sonic standpoint, which one would you recommend ?
gryphongryph

Showing 4 responses by oranfoster

I have an Accuphase E-470, which I bought because my Luxman L-550ax didn't quite have the juice to really light up my inefficient ATC SCM19's. The Lux really did have plenty of power, but I get a little exuberant with the volume control sometimes....

I thought each were built to an exceptional level of quality but I have to say that I absolutely love the E-470. The sound is not only extremely precise and dynamic but also warm and musical. 

I really think you would be very happy with sound of either unit; both perform at a very high level. Given that, perhaps you should give a little consideration to two other variables besides the sound. The Lux gets very hot. My 550 ran so hot that I can't imagine that it would have the same ultimate life span of the Accuphase. Both units are great looking. I think the Accuphase is one of the best looking components out there at any price. If I ever win the lottery and am able to buy a cost no object system; it would have Accuphase amps. I just love the house look.

Whatever you do you will be very happy. I'm a little tired of integrateds that give you only a source selector and a volume control. The full functionality of either of these Japanese units will be a joy to use.

Regards,
Oran
Forgot about the headphone question.... I have used them both, they both sounded great, but I've never owned top notch headphones or low sensitivity 'phones either.
To be honest I can't really say which one sounded warmer, and maybe that's not even the right word. And recently I've made several changes to my system; new cart, phonostage, and now the ATC HTS40's (like the SCM40's but a different enclosure), so it's difficult to say with any certainty. I would only say that I've owned many integrated amps and separates before, and have listened at audio shows and high-end retail stores, etc., and can attest to the great musicality of either unit. I guess my point was that either unit will be a top notch performer. Class A offers theoretical advantages but the Lux will run very hot; that I know. 

I just think the Accuphase looks better, and I think your personal preference should at least be part of your consideration between these fine amps. Check out pics of my Accuphase in my virtual systems; it's called Music Is Magic

~Oran.

Well thanks jafant and builder for the nice compliment on my pics. Gryphongryph, I couldn't imagine that you will be nothing less than thrilled with whatever you choose. My experience with both brands has been wonderful. I'd love to know your experience and impressions should you acquire either of these fine components.

Oh, to be clear, my LX-550ax did get very hot, even when not being driven loud, but maybe the 550 runs warmer than the 590. And it never had any issued related to heat or otherwise.