Accuphase E-470 or Luxman 590ax II ?

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy either a Accuphase E-470 or Luxman 590ax II for nearly the same price, the speakers are Graham Audio LS 5/9 (bbc speakers) 
The 470 I know is powerful enough , and I been told that the Luxman is much more powerful than the 30 Watts would suggest and should drive the 5/9 without problems in my 18 kvadrad room.
I don’t have a opportunity to try the amps at home.
From a sonic standpoint, which one would you recommend ?
gryphongryph

Showing 10 responses by builder3

gryphongryph, I own the Luxman L-590AX. I wouldn’t call the sound warm. If I had to describe it, I’d say it’s neutral & uncolored, without being harsh or stark. I’d also take exception to the statement that it "runs hot". It gets warm, that’s about it. Maybe if I had the volume cranked way up all the time, it would be different, I don't know.
So, greginnh, do you still have the Luxman CD player? Or did you part with it as well? I don’t see many used ones for sale.
L.
Thanks,Greg. The harsh reality is I may never have my other pieces equal to the amp. But I'm looking.
oranfoster, that last paragraph is interesting. I wonder why. The heat factor was a concern for me, having never owned either Class A, or tubes. I was happy that the amp never gets more than warm.
L.
gryphon, I was concerned about the heat before I bought my 590, it ended up being a non-issue. It gets warm to the touch, and no more than that. And to answer your last question, I just walked over and turned mine on, and left the tuner off. I cranked the volume knob up to about 3 o'clock. Dead quiet, no different than when it's off.
L.
gryphongryph, driving your speakers is something I can't really answer, maybe someone else here is better at the math. Looks like your LS5/9's have a sensitivity of 87dB.  My Paradigm S6's are 91dB. I don't have to turn up the volume far at all for it to get very loud, which I don't usually do anyway. Wish I could offer more help.
L.
greg, what were you running for speakers with that 590? Just curious,
Thanks,
L.
greginnh, have you had a turntable in your system? I think that's going to be my next big expenditure. So far, my mind is fully 'boggled'.
When I was looking for info on your cables, I came across your thread here from earlier in the year. I assume the 803's are gone. What didn't you like about them? They've always intrigued me, but I've never seen or heard a pair.
Thanks,
L.
The Classic is #1 on my list, other than the price. All of my recent purchases have been at a higher dollar amount than I would've really thought I'd be spending, although obviously still modest compared to many other member's systems. I don't have any regrets thus far.
Thanks,