Accuphase E-460 or Bryston BP26 / 4Bsst2

Finally I saved money for new Amplifier (gave up of two year
vacations). I have Fritzspeakers Carbon 7 speakers which
I like much. Warm sound, deep bass so I was thinking to
upgrade from NAD C275/C165 with new amplifier. I've listened my speakers with Bryston BP26/4Bsst2 and sound was great,
actually I should say totally new sound. Much better bass and airy highs. Speakers sounded like a floorstandings. Even the
salesman who was not familiar with Carbon 7 asked me to leave
speakers for two days in the store. Then he wired speakers
to Accuphase E-308 and that sound was best sound I ever heard. I even asked to buy E-308 but it was not for sale,
they used Accuphase for demoing Harbets and Proacs. I was
told that new E-460 should be perfect match for my speakers.
Is anybody familiar with new Accuphase E-460 and how it
sound.
kiza

Showing 1 response by nvp

Hi Kiza,

About a year and a half ago, I have listen extensively to the Bryston BP25/4BSST combo (driving Dali Helicon speakers) and also to quite a few Accuphase integrated, i.e E-408, E-350, E-450, E-550 (driving the Focal Micro Utopia Be speakers). These models (BP25/4BSST and E-450) are the previous generation of the models you consider. Just have a look on my system page at the not-so-short story of my hi-fi adventure :).

Of the two brands in question, Accuphase is the more noble one. However, both brands are extremly reliable and known to produce one work-horse after another. If to your ears, the Accuphase integrated sounded better than the Brystons go with the Accuphase. In time you will love its functionality and all those extra buttons.

Also, note that the E-460 has just been released and therefore it is definitely not the best bang for the buck. Sound-wise the Accuphase integrated I have listed above are very similar and I doubt the E-460 would sound significantly different. You should be able to find a demo E-450 or, even better, an E-550 for less money than a new E-460. Check my thread "Accuphase or Musical fidelity for Focal Micro Be" for a comparison of various Accuphase integrated:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1258909683&openmine&zzNvp&4&5#Nvp

Good luck!
Paul