Accuphase DP-100 DC-101 Sleeping Giant Or Dinosaur

Why is the top of the line Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 CD/SACD player combo hardly ever mentioned on Audiogon when discussing other top flight players such as EMM, DCS, and Teac Esoteric?
A glowing review of these components appeared in 2001 on Stereophile, while a more cautious review was published in The Absolute Sound in 2000. Virtual silence in the press and on Audiogon discussions came after that. Is the silence due to a failure by AXISS to articulate an effective marketing strategy, or these components have sonic flaws that make them somewhat undesirable or overpriced?
Having heard just several days ago their younger single box brother--the DP-77--and having found in it some relatively serious digital colorations that made its sound resemble somewhat that of a high quality music FM synthesizer, I am more inclined to suspect by extension that perhaps DP-100/DC-101 may not be making it to the top for musical/technical reasons, rather than marketing shortcomings. Any opinions, experiences with this combo?
guidocorona

Showing 1 response by ilduro

Accuphase practice strict territorial separation to hide the fact that their same products will command double the dealer price in Germany than they do, say, in Singapore - full service included. If you live in a country without a dealership, you fall between the cracks, which is extremely frustrating. I have found great support from a California based dealer (Fred of Katli Audio) with all my issues and problems and that why he is getting my business. So yes, the internet can work for dealers as well but it is a different business model.

When it comes to true hi-end stuff, one can either purchase pricey components at a discount (?) from the internet and go through the trials and tribulations at home - or secure the good support of a local dealer. It's everyone's choice but don't assume that option A is cheaper. Far from it - unless you KNOW exactly what to expect. In 99.9% of all cases this isn't so. There are simply too many variables in HiFi that will have a major impact on the audible result.