Accuphase DP-100 DC-101 Sleeping Giant Or Dinosaur

Why is the top of the line Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 CD/SACD player combo hardly ever mentioned on Audiogon when discussing other top flight players such as EMM, DCS, and Teac Esoteric?
A glowing review of these components appeared in 2001 on Stereophile, while a more cautious review was published in The Absolute Sound in 2000. Virtual silence in the press and on Audiogon discussions came after that. Is the silence due to a failure by AXISS to articulate an effective marketing strategy, or these components have sonic flaws that make them somewhat undesirable or overpriced?
Having heard just several days ago their younger single box brother--the DP-77--and having found in it some relatively serious digital colorations that made its sound resemble somewhat that of a high quality music FM synthesizer, I am more inclined to suspect by extension that perhaps DP-100/DC-101 may not be making it to the top for musical/technical reasons, rather than marketing shortcomings. Any opinions, experiences with this combo?
guidocorona

Showing 3 responses by guidocorona

Dazzdax, this is quite strange. I did call the importer, just a couple of weeks ago, who was singularly unforthcoming about any Accuphase CDPs. His answer to any of my questions were typically: 'Don't talk to me, talk to a dealer." When I specifically asked about the sonic differences between the DP-100/DC-101 combo and the newer DP-77 single box he answered something like that was a matter of preference and he felt it unfair to give his opinion/preference. Having asked him about the output impedance of DC-101 he told me he had no idea and I should read the documentation on the Internet. I can't say the conversation filled me with confidence in his establishment.
[email protected], are you speaking from personal experience with the DP-100/DC-101 combo in particular? Or are you drawing your conclusions based on experience with some other Accuphase players? Please let us know the details.
Of course Ferenc, please do tell us about your experience with your Accuphase combo. Have you been able to compare it with other more recent players? E.G. DCS stack, Esoteric X-01, etc. . .?