Accuphase DP-100 DC-101 Sleeping Giant Or Dinosaur

Why is the top of the line Accuphase DP-100/DC-101 CD/SACD player combo hardly ever mentioned on Audiogon when discussing other top flight players such as EMM, DCS, and Teac Esoteric?
A glowing review of these components appeared in 2001 on Stereophile, while a more cautious review was published in The Absolute Sound in 2000. Virtual silence in the press and on Audiogon discussions came after that. Is the silence due to a failure by AXISS to articulate an effective marketing strategy, or these components have sonic flaws that make them somewhat undesirable or overpriced?
Having heard just several days ago their younger single box brother--the DP-77--and having found in it some relatively serious digital colorations that made its sound resemble somewhat that of a high quality music FM synthesizer, I am more inclined to suspect by extension that perhaps DP-100/DC-101 may not be making it to the top for musical/technical reasons, rather than marketing shortcomings. Any opinions, experiences with this combo?
guidocorona

Showing 2 responses by dazzdax

Hi Guido, the same question I was asking about the Accuphase DP-90/DC-91 combo, Accuphase top-of-the-line digital before the DP-100/DC-101. I own the 90/91 and I must say it is an excellent and natural sounding digital combination. I don't know why it is not so very popular around here, probably it is also due to the price or better said: the price/quality ratio of the gear. The same holds true for Goldmund, MBL or Boulder.
But again soundwise we are talking about the cream of the crop.
Guido, I have emailed Accuphase about certain items and I must say the representatives who responded to my mails were very friendly and knowledgeable. It is also a question to me why the Accuphase distributor/importer is quite reluctant to respond to customer's questions. Where I live, I'm also experiencing some difficulties to get information regarding the availability of some replacement parts from the importer. The importer always referred to one of the dealers. It's quite frustrating sometimes.