Acceptable level of hum at max volume?

so i am noticing a faint hum when i set my amp to full volume. not sure if it's been there all along but i was tinkering around and noticed it. here is my setup: rega p3-24 w/ttpsu and herbie mat into jolida jd 9 into decware mini torii. if i switch the mini torii to the second input via the switch i get no hum, but when i switch back to the phono i can hear it. mind you this is at FULL VOLUME. my question is, is there an acceptable level of hum at these outrageous volumes. it's not present in the music at normal or even loud listening levels it's just something i noticed while dickering around. i've tried all the usual solutions to eliminating hum like cheater plugs and moving components and swapping cables. i even have a line conditioner. what say you enthusiasts?
roggae

Showing 1 response by ths364

Lewm> Hum coud be present in a tube circuit if tubes are not shielded. Leaving tubes unshielded helps get heat out and is a point of visual appeal for many people, whereas transistors are usually contained in a shielded box, because they aren't usually all that hot (they don't have a heater element like a tube for one thing), and I don't think they have a special visual appeal to a significant portion of the market. I'm not trying to be a wise guy here- I totally agree that if the hum isn't present at normal listening levels why feel the need to do something about it?