Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Shadorne I agree this is an issue to be sorted out. From what I understand it mainly applies to popular recordings mostly recently mastered up to the very margin, so it would not occur with the kind of music I mostly listen to (classical and jazz). Am I right about that?
Am I also right that reducing the output of the digital source somewhat at source (ie. in the Chromecast app or in the Equalizer Apo audio player on my computer) cures the problem as well in the same way Roon does?

shadorne, Lyngdorf uses ICC (Inter-sample Clipping Correction) to give their TDAI-2170 12 dB headroom for the intersample overs you mention, this and the Benchmark are the only 2 I know of.
@willemj   

You are correct - it will be less of an issue but still an issue. A lot of reissues of classical and jazz are boosted to clipping level too but you are correct they are often less compressed overall.

The CD Homage To Duke by David Grusin is one of the best jazz recordings I have heard and it is recorded at a very low average level with tremendous dynamics (needs to be cranked 3x higher on the volume dial compared too all my other classical and jazz).
@klh007

Thank you you for the correction! I was not aware of Lyngdorf having also implemented a solution.

It definitely makes a huge audible difference as Doug Shroeder points out in his review of the Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2 Amp.

https://www.dagogo.com/benchmark-audio-dac3-dx-ahb2-amplifiers-review/

@shadorne 

Thank you so much for that filter information. May I ask your opinion then - and I realize this is somewhat off topic thread, apologies to the OP - which filter (all names are listed below) to use in the case of an Oppo UDP205, which you know uses the Sabre ESS9038 chip?

The manual provides no detail what-so-ever as to the nature or function of each filter. I'm told "brick wall" is meant for "diagnostics", so I've avoided that. Based on my own listening impressions, I find the default mini phase fast to be preferable. "Apodizing" is the term Steve mentioned, but that was applicable to all of these filters, true? (note there is only one specific filter named "apodizing")

In your previous post to me (01-15-2018 12:00pm), it would seem one of the "linear phase" filters would be your choice, true? 

Brick Wall
Corrected Mini Phase Fast
Apodizing Fast
Mini Phase Slow
Mini Phase Fast (default)
Linear Phase Slow
Linear Phase Fast