Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
It has probably already been mentioned but in case not check out the Sound Galleries server. 
klh007,

Whether he did or not (honestly, I am not sure whether his last post is just saracasm or not), he did bring up a good potential opportunity to further improve the Comet’s sound - vibration control. I tend toward using conductors to transfer vibration to a dissipative interface, so I thought the hard metal bearings on the bottom of the Comet that are direct coupled to the chassis would be ideal, but perhaps improvement is possible through experimentation. I have had great success with Symposium platforms as a dissipate membrane.

Also, since the Comet uses an external power supply, isolation (not rubber!) of vs conductance from the DAC itself might be beneficial. I plan to test these things next.

Dave
Matt will post soon I'm sure, but he's getting the Sound Gallery's (I may too) in to listen to.  It's got great press.  Can't wait to hear his thoughts on it.  

There will be a big Lampi Product launch(es) in Suncoast Audio- Sarasota, Fl on Sat Oct14.

The New Lampi Pacific Dac with Active Triode loading, completely redesigned power supply system with 4 tubes supporting them, and completely overspecified power. Physically, I hear the Dac will be double the GG size and will be waaay more dynamic (if you can imagine that). Best guess for the price for the SE basic version is about $22K.

In addition, the recently released Lampi SuperKomputer2 will be feeding the beast. It too has completely redesigned power (took a year to complete, I am told) and no parts are commercially available, all proprietary. Fanless, with ultra-light Lampi mobo embedded Linux and roon supplied engine. I suspect US price will be circa $8.5K, given confirmed EU price of €7K pre-VAT. Audiophile Bill in the UK is testing it now and is in love. He told me he will buy it for sure. Wish I had the spare moolah, as he had me salivating...

BTW, Cstooner, I will make it to Sarasota, so if you can make it, it will be my great pleasure to meet you in person. I am taking advantage of the fact that I will be in Philly for the first 2 weeks of Oct with my family and will pop down to Fla for the weekend to visit a friend who recently moved there from Switzerland.

It should be big fun, and I will finally get to meet Mike, Rob and Gopher at last. There will be other famous forumites there too. Lukasz will be there too, of course.